Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

servicing question!!

hi guys/girls

how many litres of gearbox oil does one need for a tranny oil change?
    this is for a k20.

THANKSS !!!
    Project TOPLESS

you'll need 1.8L so just get two 1L bottles, recommend honda mtf

Comment

Get low temp ones - I recommend get it from jdmyardd
      CLEMENTE

Comment

The helms manual for the US based RSX quotes:
        For fluid change: ~1.5L (1.6US qt)
        For overhaul: ~1.7L (1.8 US qt)

Whenever I've changed mine, it usually takes around 1.5L, but I'd run with BAU53's suggestion of either two 1L bottles/two 1quart bottles.

How much is Honda MTF?
        Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Originally posted by pbk1776 View Post
          Get low temp ones - I recommend get it from jdmyardd
          What do you mean by low temp ones?

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
            What do you mean by low temp ones?
            something like this http://www.jdmyard.com/index.php?rou...product_id=505

with resistance at high temperature - hope I made myself clear :-)
            CLEMENTE

Comment

Originally posted by pbk1776 View Post
              something like this http://www.jdmyard.com/index.php?rou...product_id=505

with resistance at high temperature - hope I made myself clear :-)
              The Motul Gear FF-LSD oil is a GL-5 which is not recommended for a DC5 gearbox (and most other Hondas). The extra additives in the GL-5 oil which are designed for resistance at high temperatures are known to be corrosive, which may eat away at your syncros and bearings.

I would stick to a GL-4 fluid like OEM Honda or Red Line MTL. Red Line MTL is fully synthetic so it is able to withstand more heat.

Incidentally, I sell Red Line MTL
              Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
                The Motul Gear FF-LSD oil is a GL-5 which is not recommended for a DC5 gearbox (and most other Hondas). The extra additives in the GL-5 oil which are designed for resistance at high temperatures are known to be corrosive, which may eat away at your syncros and bearings.

I would stick to a GL-4 fluid like OEM Honda or Red Line MTL. Red Line MTL is fully synthetic so it is able to withstand more heat.

Incidentally, I sell Red Line MTL
                BIAS! lol
                CLEMENTE

Comment

Yer i use Honda MTF in all my cars. But something i noticed is that the weight has changed over the years! from 10w-30 to now 75w-80!
                  Reason for that?
                  Last edited by Karl; 06-12-12, 08:14 AM.
                  sigpic
                  128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
                    The helms manual for the US based RSX quotes:
                    For fluid change: ~1.5L (1.6US qt)
                    For overhaul: ~1.7L (1.8 US qt)

Whenever I've changed mine, it usually takes around 1.5L, but I'd run with BAU53's suggestion of either two 1L bottles/two 1quart bottles.

How much is Honda MTF?
                    $15/bottle man, cheap!
                    yeah only abt 1.5-1.8L

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                      Yeah I use Honda MTF in all of my cars, however something I've noticed is that the weight has changed over the years! From 10W-30 to 75W-80 now!
                      What is the reason for that?
                      It's roughly the same, although I understand it changed from being approximately a 75W-85 to the now thinner MTF II which is the 75W-80 you mention, when it's referred to as a 10W-30 that is using the engine oil SAE viscosity scale which is different to that of the transmission oil. So a 75W gear oil has a kinematic viscosity at 100°C of 4.1 mm²/s and a 10W engine oil has the very same viscosity at 100°. Similarly for the second number a 30W engine oil is 9.3-12.5mm²/s at 100°C and a 80W gear oil is 7.0mm²/s and an 85W gear oil 11.0mm²/s.

Comment

Arrr. Thanks for that!
                        sigpic
                        128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

servicing question!!

Wooo thanks for the detailed info!!

I was planning to get motul lsd type II, but since you said it's corrosive, I'm not sure if that's the best for me anymore. I only thought it would be ideal cos I use motul engine oil as well.

This leads to a biased question of course, which oil is the best, or most suited to a k20?

Honda mtf, red line mtf, motul, nylon, or any others out there?
                          I really only want what's best for the baby haha
                          Project TOPLESS

Comment

servicing question!!

Btw, I have an fn2, so the gearbox is different to a dc5 of course. Question is, does the game change when it comes to using motul LSD type II? Would it be okay for my car if i used that oil?
                            Project TOPLESS

Comment

I use honda mtf. $18/L at peter warren parts warwick farm or $17/L at meekong in canley vale
                              Integra Type R
                              Integra Type S
                              S2000

Comment

Working...
                              X