clunk sounds? engine? suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clunk sounds? engine? suspension?

Has anyone got any clunking sounds around the suspension area?

i had stock suspensions it had light clunks, when i changed to coils it was a much louder clunk, sounds like the wheels going to fly off.

It only clunks when on bumpy roads, even slightly bumpy roads....

What does it sound like? loose suspensions banging the engine bay...softly =)

Took my car to honda and they couldnt find it
    took it to another mechanic they couldnt find it.

engine is find, mounts are ok, swaybar etc are good - said honda.

i have it on my passenger side only, my friend has it on both....

anyone had this problem?
    AUTO | Ktuned @ 115.2 kw atw | ITR Cams-TB-I/M | XForce 4-2-1 | Toda Catback | Mugen Intake | Whiteline | Buddyclub N+ | Buddyclub SF3

My Teins make clunking noises that sound like they're about to fall off, but thats because of the type of top mount that I'm using (Todds caster/camber top mounts), which is normal.

What're the coilovers that you're using and what are the top mounts?
    Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Check if your cv joints are on their way out
      Have a read of my build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
        My Teins make clunking noises that sound like they're about to fall off, but thats because of the type of top mount that I'm using (Todds caster/camber top mounts), which is normal.

What're the coilovers that you're using and what are the top mounts?
        but the clunks were there with stock suspensions...

using buddyclub N+ atm
        AUTO | Ktuned @ 115.2 kw atw | ITR Cams-TB-I/M | XForce 4-2-1 | Toda Catback | Mugen Intake | Whiteline | Buddyclub N+ | Buddyclub SF3

Comment

Originally posted by JupiteR View Post
          but the clunks were there with stock suspensions...

using buddyclub N+ atm
          Ahhh, my bad. I completely misread that comment.

Sounds like the usual suspects have been covered off.

Maybe try seeing if you have an issue with a drive shaft? http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...iveshaft+noise
          Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

First thing i'd check is suspension bushes. Since you changed to coilovers, its more stiffer and your bushes are forced to work harder to keep up which is making the clunking louder.

But the mechanics would've seen this though.. wouldn't hurt to check anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by egb18c2 View Post
              First thing i'd check is suspension bushes. Since you changed to coilovers, its more stiffer and your bushes are forced to work harder to keep up which is making the clunking louder.

But the mechanics would've seen this though.. wouldn't hurt to check anyways.
              i've been to my mechanic and even honda...

honda says i need to put my stock suspensions + stock wheels @ $150/hr for diagnostic to find out the problem......and they dont know how long the diagnostic is going to take..-____-!!

looking for another mechanic now..

hmm..bushes.....

Comment

honda says i need to put my stock suspensions + stock wheels @ $150/hr for diagnostic to find out the problem......and they dont know how long the diagnostic is going to take..-____-!!

hmm..bushes.....
                If you are near TOP1 - best to go there - just my 2cents
                CLEMENTE

Comment

If you're definite that the clunking sounds are coming from the suspension area then I think its best if you jack the car up and have a look around.

I would grab the wheel/tyre at 3 and 9 (and later at 6 and 12), and wobble the wheel around to see if there's any signs of any abnormalities. If there are no signs of any wear and tear, then I would remove the wheel and have a look around with a torch.
                  Last edited by itrungs; 26-11-12, 01:53 PM.

Comment

hmm..bushes.....
                    never go to honda.

Comment

Sounds EXACTLY like what I had, Mechanic said all was fine.

Replaced the engine mounts with Hardrace mounts, fixed all the noise and more, the old mounts were terrible.

Plus, harder springs would make mounts clunk more.
                      ClubITR: "Cruising 3-wide on the bridge like BOSSES!!" ~ crashprash

My FlickR
                      My TumblR

Comment

i had issues with my suspension earlier last week. my car was making err... clinkity clonky sounds when i turned... thought my steering rack needed a regreasing. ended up mangling the shit out of my driveshaft...

does ur steering go funny at all?

Comment

Working...
                        X