Fitting a manual CAI to an auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting a manual CAI to an auto

Unfortunately it wasn't specified when I purchased it second hand, for some reason I didn't think to check, the mechanic (very reputable) didn't even realize until he was trying to connect it up and referred to the online manual that it would only fit on a manual - $250 Injen CAI for an 03 DC5.

Mechanic did say that it could be done they just need to extend certain leads and air pipes etc but that drives the cost of installation up. Any thoughts on what I should do or what I can do? I sent the guy a text after trying to call him and he responded that he bought it like that, used a breather filter on the valve cover and thinks if they charge anything higher than $10 extra it's ridiculous.

Thought I'd snapped up a bargain but lesson learned, any help appreciated! (Am getting a quote on monday in regards to how much it'll cost to attempt to fit the CAI with extended pipes/cables and a few mods here and there for it to fit). Thanks!

You have the base version of the Injen,
    The rubber elbow is at a different angle than the type R version. I'm not even sure it will work.

Comment

CAI? Auto? Do you reckon you'd be able to feel that?

I'm going to make another suggestion... only a suggestion, your car ultimately.

Sell the CAI. Assuming you mostly want the intake for sound, buy a $40 3" pod, a $15 dollar breather and rip off the airbox and chuck the pod on the end of the intake hose. Get a pod cover if you're scared of defects.

Now your non-vtec vtec screams and you don't risk hydrolock.

Comment

Originally posted by T-BaGGeR View Post
        You have the base version of the Injen,
        The rubber elbow is at a different angle than the type R version. I'm not even sure it will work.
        They were pretty sure with modification it'd work however I don't want any restrictions, I'm not too experienced with engine mechanics but tried my best to understand the way he explained it - originally he had said if he had've installed it then it'd be hanging loose (so he'd thought maybe a custom bracket would help) but he was also worried it'd restrict the air flow which I definitely don't want.

Think I should just eBay the CAI and chop it up to bad luck (or try get my money back)? :\ Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by iamvinny View Post
          They were pretty sure with modification it'd work however I don't want any restrictions, I'm not too experienced with engine mechanics but tried my best to understand the way he explained it - originally he had said if he had've installed it then it'd be hanging loose (so he'd thought maybe a custom bracket would help) but he was also worried it'd restrict the air flow which I definitely don't want.

Think I should just eBay the CAI and chop it up to bad luck (or try get my money back)? :\ Thanks for the reply!
          I'm guessing your mech is talking abut the elbow. By memory , the base elbow is 90 degrees and the R is 60 deg.

I think the only difference between the intakes is the elbow. Do some research on clubrsx. You can buy the separate elbows from Injen and that might just save you.

Comment

I think the only difference between the intakes is the elbow. Do some research on clubrsx. You can buy the separate elbows from Injen and that might just save you.
            Will do, thanks mate!

Comment

I'm guessing your mech is talking abut the elbow. By memory , the base elbow is 90 degrees and the R is 60 deg.

Would this be the part? http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/INJ-X-3007.html

(Specifies 02-04 RSX: Auto)

Comment

Yeh that's the one. Best to email them and ask them what you need to make your intake work. They are a real good shop and they will take care of you.

Comment

Will do that now, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X