Space Saver with AUDM Type R brakes on a DC5 Luxury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space Saver with AUDM Type R brakes on a DC5 Luxury

I came across this issue on the weekend. I was fitting my new wheels on the car but the driver front wheel was flat. So I tried putting the space saver on. It went on fine.. but it was so close to the hub that it locked it up and the car couldnt move.

I can only think.. the AUDM Type R brakes are bigger than the Luxury brakes and makes contact with the space saver?

Or Honda is retarded?

Originally posted by Kin View Post

Or Honda is retarded?
    hmmm, what sort of person thinks it is a good idea to put a space saver on the front of a FWD car...
    ... retired/

Comment

Maybe Honda is a bit foolish. But I can confirm that an Australian DC5R space saver fits over the front brakes on the Aussie DC5R. The luxury model space saver must be different.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
        hmmm, what sort of person thinks it is a good idea to put a space saver on the front of a FWD car...
        It was a limp of 1km back home..

There was a long story to my adventure. I had gotten the new wheels, put all 4 of them on using the car scissor jack at midnight..i dont have any tools or jacks etc at home. Then the tyres were flattish.. front was pretty flat .. so i limped the car out to the petrol station. pumped them all up.. front driver wheel wouldnt inflate.. so out came the scissor jack again, turns out the tyre had popped off the rim.

by that time i was seriously over it. using the scissor jack to change wheels 5x was just annoying. I was going to just put the space saver on the front.. and limp it home again.. it was 2-3am by then and I was driving at under 20km/h so i didnt think it would be too bad to chuck it up front. for normal driving obviously no.. wouldnt do it. but i was cold, annoyed, tired and wanting to just get into bed.

but tbh, i hadn't really even thought of putting a space saver on the front wheel of a FWD being smart or not.. ive never had to use one before but then thinking of it now.. it was pretty stupid
        Last edited by Kin; 30-10-12, 03:09 PM.

Comment

OK, so at least you know it is a bad idea to run a space saver on the front...
          ... retired/

Comment

Had the same problem. And here's why:
            Obviously they've replaced it with a new one.
            Me and my boyfriends type r are both dc5r's however his is an 01 and mine is an 02 model. We were cruising one day in separate cars and he hit an island and popped his tyre. I thought considering it was difficult to get into his boot because of his sound system that it might be a little bit more convinient to use my space saver from my car as I can get to it a little quicker. Once we put it on it fit, but when he went to drive nothing would happen. We called someone over and they said every year models space saver is different. We ended up getting his one out and it unusually worked. A little awkward after you call someone out for something so logical!!!!

Comment

can u shed some more light Tiana?

I never heard of different year models being different specs (width/offset)
              Integra Type R
              Integra Type S
              S2000

Comment

I was in shock as well. Its just millimeters off the size of my boyfriends wheel. I would presume that its either a money maker or just simply slightly small variations of the calipers size or something like that.
                I'm not too sure why, but your guess is better than mine!

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                  OK, so at least you know it is a bad idea to run a space saver on the front...
                  Ive done it in dry weather. Wasnt to bad if you drive like a grandma! Wret weather would be interesting. I dont even carry a spare tire. I just got a inflation can!
                  sigpic
                  128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by Tiana View Post
                    I was in shock as well. Its just millimeters off the size of my boyfriends wheel. I would presume that its either a money maker or just simply slightly small variations of the calipers size or something like that.
                    I'm not too sure why, but your guess is better than mine!
                    Very sure every things the same on those 2 models!
                    sigpic
                    128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

The space saver said otherwise and I thought the exact same thing as you before that happened! Don't ask me, ask honda!!

Comment

The space saver said otherwise and I thought the exact same thing as you before that happened! Don't ask me, ask honda!!
                        But isn't your car a base model and your boyfriends an R? That would make more sense wouldn't it? The base model/Luxury having a slightly different setup?

Kseries Addict All work performed by dRHonda @ HondAYard

Comment

Not too sure. Perhaps. When I get a type r, I shall experiment again if it's a different year model and update you's!

Comment

Me and my boyfriends type r are both dc5r's however his is an 01 and mine is an 02 model.
                            When I get a type r,
                            so the reason we are confused is you are confusing us.

either you both have Type R's = strange that they have different spare wheels

or

you have a base & he has Type R = not strange they have different spare wheels
                            ... retired/

Comment

She stated before "Me and my boyfriends type r are both dc5r's however his is an 01 and mine is an 02 model." These two models are the same.

The base model and type R are different. Differ brake setup,spare wheel. but the stock wheels are still same size and offset.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X