Installing a new front lip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a new front lip

On the weekend I hit a fox, unfortunately it screwed up my front lip. Just got it off today, the right side had been ripped off, the left side I'd unscrewed it from inside the wheel cavity and undid the 2 bolts left under the car.

Ordered a new front lip (Type R) from the states which I'm waiting for and have been quoted $250 to have it painted, just waiting to see if he'll fit it as well. Otherwise would I be fine fitting it with just screws in each wheel cavity and have a layer of 3M tape as well to hold it on or ..?

Oh and what are the metal things hanging down? I couldn't find a way to get them off.

Comment

That looks lip looks repairable.

Anyways, that metal thing is supposed to be attached to the lip via pop rivets. Unbolt it from under the front bar. Get under the car and follow the metal bracket and you will find the bolt.

Comment

You should need any double sided tape to install. The brackets should hold it in place. You want some play between the lip and bar because if you hit it on a speed bump/ driveway etc, the lip can move upwards without dislodging the whole front bar.

If you want it more solidly installed on te front bar, don't use double sided tape. Go to Bunnings and get a tube of Sikaflex and run a bead of it between the 2 mating surfaces and install the lip.

Comment

Thanks! Figured since I have it off now and I'd already purchased the lip as I think the Type R lip looks cleaner I'd just remove this one and get the new one put on. Got a quote from a shop who said they'd paint and fit the lip for $250 so maybe they can just attach the new lip to the metal attachments.

Comment

It's no big deal for the shop to install it for you. If they charge you to install it, they are just trying to milk you. It's takes 10 mins.

Is the lip you bought OEM?

Comment

I don't think so, no. Believe its the "PU" version, didn't want to spend too much just for the lip but yeah I think if they try charge me to fit it I'll just tell them its okay I'll fit it myself - wasn't too hard to get off.

Comment

What's PU?
                If its a replica, you might have some problems fitting it well. There might be gaps or one side hangs lower, it might be shorter or too long etc.

Test fit it yourself before you get it painted to make sure everything fits well

Comment

This one, and yep will test fit it before painting etc - fingers crossed it fits well though

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Cheers m8

Comment

Working...
                      X