Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

faulty TPS Throttle Position Sensor (DC2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

faulty TPS Throttle Position Sensor (DC2)

Car is a DC2R.
    Mods: Mugen Intake

Few weeks ago i got a engine light on the way to work. Car lost power and limped the last 500m to work. Re-started the car an hour later and the engine light was gone. 2 Weeks later the light came back on and i turned the engine off at the lights, restarted the engine and the engine light was gone.

Took it to the dealer today to have the error code checked.. Faulty Throttle Position Sensor (They think, as the code is not specific enough, could be the actual throttle body but unlikely)

$1100 + labour as the TPS does not sell separately to the Throttle Body

So took a look online, $64.46 in the US for just the sensor
    http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/p...hrottle-body-5

Does anyone have any experience with changing the TPS or if its the right part number?

I have heard that most hondas use the same TPS and its quite universal?

yeah, find out the error code(s) to confirm

but new TPS are a dime a dozen on ebay,

that's what i usually do.

it is easy, you just need to calibrate it correctly... as per the manual.
    ... retired/

Comment

That link u posted for 64.46 is a map sensor not TPS sensor

You can see in the diagram that the TPS is not available separately

Comment

You can use D/B/H TPS sensors. If you get stuck i have a used one here.
        BYP Racing & Developments
        Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
        STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Thanks guys!

Its an intermittent problem for the time being. I will check/reconnect some cables as described in the manual. The manual also says the TPS is not removable but benson says it is. That would save me $500. I will see how i go over the next few weeks.

Attached Files
          Last edited by 00dc2; 10-10-12, 11:49 PM.

Comment

When i purchased my dc5r, i had this problem. When hitting vtec for the first time after turning the car on i would get the check engine light and my car would go into limp mode. How i fixed this? I got the error code checked at a mechanic and found out my tps sensor was gone. I had to buy a new (second hand refurbished) throttle body with the tps sensors on it as they did not come separately. This may not be relevant to you but i thought i'd share my experience but it did fix my problem.
            Have a read of my build thread

Comment

The TPS is not designed to be removed which is why the screws don't have any slots in them. BUT it can be easily removed by drilling the screws out or cutting your own slots.

Do at your own risk tho

Comment

to get the tps off, you probably best to remove the whole throttle body and cut slots in the headless screws.

so you should budget for a now throttle body gasket too...
                ... retired/

Comment

Good tip guys. Carefully cut a slot with a angle grinder then use a flat head screw driver to remove it
                  BYP Racing & Developments
                  Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
                  STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

what about the option of getting an after market slightly larger throttle body and use with the stock ECU or a mugen ecu (That i have at home)? Is there much/any benefit in power with the stock intake manifold? and compatability issues with stock ecu lol

Comment

stock TB is fine to 120kW

benson - a hack-saw is capable fo cutting the slot - it is soft steel...
                      ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                      X