Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearbox woes

Hi all.

Now, I know that the DC5 gearbox is renowned as 'notchy' and such, but what exactly is the definition of notchy in regards to a gearbox?

I've got an 04 Type S, with around 72500 ks. I changed the GB fluid about 1500 k's ago with OEM MTF - which eliminated my 3rd gear pop out... however, since yesterday, my 1-2-3 shifts don't feel as smooth, spirited driving or daily driving. I have no pop outs, but it feel almost as if when shifting between the first three, I hit a temporary barrier at half throw and then it goes in to the gear. Almost like the feel of the shifter when engaging reverse.

Note, this is my first manual vehicle, and of the three I've driven before, this is the only one that feels like I described above.

Is this normal and am I being paranoid? Or what should I take a look at and what could fix it?

Also another unrelated question, is it bad for me gearbox or engine to be in a high gear at low speeds? Ie 50kph in 6th?

option 1: press clutch in fully before shifting

option 2: get solid engime mounts

option 3: solid shifter bushing

option 4: do options 1 to 3.

gearing very early: its not the healthiest thing to do, but your car makes more than 40kw, it shouldnt be too much trouble. just dont do that on hills

trying to hypermile in your dc5?

Comment

Mounts will help with shifting/feel.
      BYP Racing & Developments
      Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
      STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

I'll give all three options a shot. Hopefully that'll work out.

As for hypermiling, not so much. Just don't shift down till absolutely necessary haha. Always shift up at 3k or above. Just not down till I must.

Also, the notchy feel from 1st to 2nd only happens on up shifts... not sure if that changes much.

Comment

well its not very often you downshift from 2nd straight to first anyway right

Comment

Yeah, rarely ever. I meant that 3-2 and such don't feel notchy.

Comment

You think the dc5 is bad drive a brz haha. The dc5 needs solid engine mounts to shift really well, made mine shift like butter

Comment

How bad is a brz? Haha. Yeah, mounts are a definite to do now.

Comment

Don't labour your engine with high gear and low speeds..

You should keep the RPM at about 2000rpm + at all time.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by justinfox
                  You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DC2R View Post
                    Don't labour your engine with high gear and low speeds..

You should keep the RPM at about 2000rpm + at all time.
                    cos no v8 m8

Comment

Working...
                    X