Lsd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lsd

Hi guys... my latest search for a nice LSD has proved to be a annoying/stressful one.

Just wanting to know what LSD's you guys are running on your cars. I have a DC2R... and will be going for a 1.5 way dif.

Given no budget what LSD would you get and why?
    I am looking for a reliable, responsive, not toooooo noisy LSD that does a good job.

So far I am considering a Spoon 1.5 or a Cusco 1.5 LSD... however there are 2 type of cusco ones, and not quite sure the difference. I have been told that one is louder than the other and that's all. By wtf... why would you want a loud one when you can have quieter one? I have also been told that Spoon ones are cheap to rebuild, opposed to the Cusco's...

If you can please discuss it would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou
    Rix.

Originally posted by ChargeR
    Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

here's my 2 cents

Im using a cusco 1.5 way in my swift, for street driving is clunks abit on street tyres but im use to it now. Any aftermarket LSD will clunk. If you don't like the noise then it ain't worth upgrading. Using good LSD will also minimise the clunking.

LSd should last you a fair while if you maintain it right and treat it right.
    BYP Racing & Developments
    Built. Tuned. Driven
    Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

When using clutch type lsd's, they have wearing parts in them. They work similar to how your clutch works and will require maintenance.

If you want a nearly maintenance free lsd, then get Quaife

When upgrading, 1.5 way is the best solution for FWD cars.

Clutch type lsd’s lockup earlier/quicker than torsional/helical lsd’s

Cusco make two different types of lsd's, one is designed more for the track (the noisy one) it locks up a lot quicker and harsher, the other is designed more for street use, its quiet and does not lock up as quickly or as harshly.

When using clutch type lsd's, the clutches wear, as you would expect. When the clutches bed in/wear, there is more play between the clutches.

This will require the clutches to be re-shimmed back to the initial torque spec to enable the lsd to operate within its designed parameters.

Checking the initial torque can be done with the lsd inside or outside of the car. Shimming the diff we require the removal of the gearbox, then the remove of the lsd from the gearbox.

Hope this information helps.
      Last edited by BlackDC2; 22-12-06, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Jason which cusco model is the one more dedicated for track?

Cheers

Comment

Cusco MZ is suited to the track while RS is suited for the street

Comment

Ohhh thanks heaps guys. Anyone know anything about Spoon ones?

How would you maintain/look after a clutch type LSD? Just changing dif fluids? how often would you need to maintain etc?

Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Mugen = Clutch type
              Quaife = Helical gear Type

Comment

Originally posted by VTECMACHINE View Post
                How would you maintain/look after a clutch type LSD? Just changing dif fluids? how often would you need to maintain etc?
                I have outlined above how to maintain the correct initial torque value.

Changing fluid would depend on a number of things, how often you track the car, how many Km's you do etc.

Changing the fluid more often will always be better.

After breaking my ATS diff and searching for part numbers/replacement parts for it, I have now chosen to install a Cusco LSD instead of repairing the ATS one, for one simple reason, when the diff needs maintenance in the future, parts are going to be easy to come by.

Something you might want to think about when you purchase a diff, how easy is it going to be to repair/service it and how much it’s going to cost.

Comment

Spot on man! That's exactly what I have been thinking about. Thanks so much for the information.

So I guess no one has used a Spoon one before? I have been told they do the job and are a good price, and easssyyy to maintain and rebuilds are cheap as chips. That's the only reason why I want to hear more about it.

For the time being... Cusco sounds like the go ahead. The non- track one... as i'll be tracking every 3 months if i'm lucky.

Comment

Did you like your Carbon ATS jas?
                    I thought the ATS LSD would have good support for parts -
                    Do you find any difference in feel between your cusco and ATS? Your Cusco is the clutch type right?

Can we break our OEM LSD? (for some reason, I think mines stopped working haha)

Is there any value in upgrading the OEM to Quaife = Helical gear Type?
                    ..:: Disciple of the DDang Driving School :: ..
                    - Don't rev at me, I get scared -

Comment

Quaiffe LSD? Lifetime warranty on the product as well.

Comment

not sure jase has installed it yet euge...

euge - i did a OEM lsd rebuild, and the only thing that *might* break are the helicals on the internal gears (wont break but might wear out?)

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...&highlight=lsd
                        ... retired/

Comment

Ahh good stuff ... must be the paranoia again

How do you find the changes now? ie. with LSD and 4.7FD? big difference?

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                          not sure jase has installed it yet euge...

euge - i did a OEM lsd rebuild, and the only thing that *might* break are the helicals on the internal gears (wont break but might wear out?)

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...&highlight=lsd
                          ..:: Disciple of the DDang Driving School :: ..
                          - Don't rev at me, I get scared -

Comment

OT - but yes, the new gearbox is awesome, feels faster, simply due to the lower ratios,

but the LSD - it is a feeling like no other! corners feel like they are getting sucked into the front of the car, the car just feels like it wants to turn much more easily!

on OPH, i could be on the throttle so much sooner, and not worry about understeer...

i reckon there is easily a second a lap (at Wakie) in the difference compared tothe non-lsd of the VTiR...

i can only imagine what a OEM lsd vs a clutch type would do, it would be like point and shoot - aim at the apex and hit the gas!
                            ... retired/

Comment

OK so I am digging up and old thread here, but does Anyone know of a place or person that can source a Quaife LSD?? If so how much would I be looking at roughly for it??

If Quaife is too hard to source, wat about a Kaaz 1.5 way??

Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                              X