Driveshaft removal (DC5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft removal (DC5)

Hi guys. I'm kinda stuck and need abit of help. Currently engine is out of the bay and driveshafts are still with the hub assembly. At the moment the driveshafts aren't coming out with the following tools,
    • 36mm socket
    • vice-grip

There isn't enough leverage even with a breaker bar. What are my options other than taking the whole hub assembly along with driveshafts to a local mechanic.

Norm

Get someone to step on the brakes and use a big 1inch breaker bar with a 36mm socket. If you need more leverage, add to a pole to the end of the breaker bar

If you dont have brakes, wedge a big flathead screwdriver between the rotor slots and lean it against the caliper.
    BYP Racing & Developments
    Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
    STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

I have one of these:

That I bought just for this purpose. It's 3/4" drive, 1 metre long, and I have a 6 point impact socket to go with it. I get someone to stand on the brakes and then undo the nut, on the more stubborn ones one bounce of my bodyweight on the end of the bar is usually enough.

The above bar isn't cheap though, you're better off taking the lot off and giving your local mechanic $20 to undo them with a grunty rattle gun. Especially if you won't need to undo them again.

Comment

Originally posted by benson View Post
        Get someone to step on the brakes and use a big 1inch breaker bar with a 36mm socket. If you need more leverage, add to a pole to the end of the breaker bar

If you dont have brakes, wedge a big flathead screwdriver between the rotor slots and lean it against the caliper.
        Gonna take some paint of by doing this way. I've got a 1 inch breaker bar.

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
        I have one of these:

That I bought just for this purpose. It's 3/4" drive, 1 metre long, and I have a 6 point impact socket to go with it. I get someone to stand on the brakes and then undo the nut, on the more stubborn ones one bounce of my bodyweight on the end of the bar is usually enough.

The above bar isn't cheap though, you're better off taking the lot off and giving your local mechanic $20 to undo them with a grunty rattle gun. Especially if you won't need to undo them again.
        I've got a 1/2" drive but not as long as a metre though. 6 point 36mm too. I think i'll just have to wait for back up. Taking the lot off may require me to remove everything which is also a pain in the ass. I'll see what me and my friend can come up with. This is probably one of the hardest things to come off a car if i'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the input guys. I may just need a longer breaker bar.

Comment

stick some pipe over the end of the breaker bar....

i ususlly need 2 meters of puipe when i break hub nuts...
          ... retired/

Comment

You shouldn't need a breaker bar. Just a few weekends ago I took off 2 axle nuts off an old accord that has been siting outside for 7 years. Everything was rusted to the bejesus.

Get someone to stand on the breaks. Get your breaker bar and put the jack under the end of the handle and start jacking up the breaker bar.

Comment

Originally posted by T-BaGGeR View Post
              You shouldn't need a breaker bar. Just a few weekends ago I took off 2 axle nuts off an old accord that has been siting outside for 7 years. Everything was rusted to the bejesus.

Get someone to stand on the breaks. Get your breaker bar and put the jack under the end of the handle and start jacking up the breaker bar.
              That is an extremely good idea with the jack under the breaker bar, only problem is my brakes are off. However I will still attempt that whilst wedging one end of the driveshaft.

I will also try getting a hollow steel pole and extend the length of the breaker bar like Dave said. Maybe thats whats needed. More distance from the pivot point

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                That is an extremely good idea with the jack under the breaker bar, only problem is my brakes are off. However I will still attempt that whilst wedging one end of the driveshaft.

I will also try getting a hollow steel pole and extend the length of the breaker bar like Dave said. Maybe thats whats needed. More distance from the pivot point

Norm
                Damn! I should of wrote than on ozhonda. I need rep points to start selling my stuff.

It's not such a big deal to put the calipers back on. We had to do it after trying the traditional methods.

Comment

The car jack that you are using....

If the end of the bar is open ended, you can place the breaker bar in the end of it.
                  Now thats a breaker bar

Comment

yeah - that car jack handle would be perfect size eh Timmy
                    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                      yeah - that car jack handle would be perfect size eh Timmy
                      hahahahahahha, glad i could help
                      LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X