Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 litre sport sedans

Hey guys,

Im looking at running the dc2 as a 2 litre sport sedan competition car sometime in the near future as I have traded my s2000 for a Honda euro. The missus is letting me do whatever to the dc2 now since shes happy with the euro and I have the dc5 for my own weekends.

Im currently looking for some ideas for the setup, my tuner is designing the car on a CAD based program and we are looking to confirm now that the engine can be moved to the back (MR layout). Most of the panels bar the roof and the floorpan as stipulated by the regulations will probably move to dry carbon. A chromoly cage will be welded to the chassis and a fuel cell will be moved into the back seat area if the MR layout can be used.

Im currently looking at the engine options, and it seems abit limited as to what I can use. Does anyone know if there is a weight penalty for running turbo engines in this class? I have a choice to run a Mugen b20a or to keep my turbo setup and destroke my engine to about 1.3 litres because there is a 1.7 turbo mulitplier on the engine capacity. Im leaning towards the 1.3 litre motor and running about 1.5 bar boost using a quad throttle and carbon plenum setup because I can spin this motor to about 11,000rpms mated to a 6 speed custom gearbox. The useable torque should be more with this engine than the 2litre atmo engine.

Anyone have any inputs as to which they might feel is better and why? As I said Im looking towards the 1.3 turbo because of a broader torque band, but I need to confirm that there is no weight penalty.

i disagree with engine options being limited, you can use what ever engine you want to, ie. engine's are 'basically' free bar a few exceptions. This is sport sedans you are talking about.

you can't move your engine to the rear in a dc2. i suggest you get the cams manual and read it before you waste your time with r&d because you have more to worry about than what engine capacity to use.

Comment

i dunno how much you would want to move the engine around the DC2's amazing chassis...

you HAVE to go K20A. with ITB's and 13:1cr

there is no other option.
      ... retired/

Comment

Thanks for that information, do you know which section/subsection states that the engine cant be moved? Im trying to find it right now.

As for the engine being limited, its limited because I want to run a Honda engine, if it works well, im going to put one in my road car

Tinkerbell, the chassis is great, but its more that I want the rwd and balance of a midship, having driven one recently at Phillip island, the difference is just amazing!
        Probably should look at the k20a, but the problem is the cost. Getting a K20a isnt cheap, for the money of a JDM k20a or even an audm k20a, ur halfway into a build b. Being a race car, Id be ditching the vtc mechanisms so the torque curve benefit of the VTC isnt going to be there
        Last edited by freakie; 18-12-06, 12:15 PM.

Comment

wrong info
          Last edited by tinkerbell; 18-12-06, 12:17 PM.
          ... retired/

Comment

why not tinker?

Comment

nup. it is 4.4 (i)

4.4 Engines:
              (i) Engine and ancillary equipment is free, provided
              that:the engine is located in the same general area
              as envisaged by the manufacturer of the body.
              ... retired/

Comment

ah bugger there goes that idea!

Comment

whaoh - just read the weight rules

8. MINIMUM RACING WEIGHTS
                  5101 – 6000cc 1125kg
                  4501 – 5100cc 1050kg
                  3551 – 4500cc 975kg
                  2501 – 3550cc 900kg
                  2001 – 2500cc 800kg
                  1601 – 2000cc 780kg
                  1301 – 1600cc 730kg
                  up to 1300cc 680kg
                  Note. These are minimum racing weights for rear wheel drive
                  vehicles, and include the driver. Front Wheel Drive: subtract
                  50kg from the above weights.
                  so for a 1998cc engine, you can have it in a <800kg chassis - like an EF civic...

DC2 probably only get to 950kg fully stripped...
                  ... retired/

Comment

BTW - i am lookign at 2003 rules!!!! might have changed.

contact www.cams.com.au for the newest manual...
                    ... retired/

Comment

Deleted
                      Last edited by TAFKA TMB; 18-12-06, 12:39 PM.
                      Honda DC2R Integra

If I change the nut behind the wheel then my sloppy lines improve and I can get some consistency to sort out my iffy handling, my worrying lack of braking ability goes away, after that I can start fretting about my suspicious lack of straight line grunt.

Comment

what are you on about tinkerbell? if you can't cut enough chassis to get to near the min weight then i'd suggest find another hobby.

get your mind off production based racing, the guy is talking sport sedans.

freakie: i'd suggest talking to a few of the guys in the association as they will have an eligibility officier to help you out on the nitty gritty details. good luck with it!

Comment

i fear the angle grinder
                          ... retired/

Comment

this thread is hardcore!

Comment

save a bit of dosh and why not buy Eddie's dc2r race car everything has been done already and brand new spankin' engine etc. etc. look at the vendor's section...
                              g/l anyways
                              www.belgarage.com.au

Comment

Working...
                              X