Resistor size for airbag delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resistor size for airbag delete

Hi guys, I have a question regarding my drivers side seat airbag. I am going to install my Sparco seat tomorrow and am going to try the resistor fix so I don't get an airbag light coming up, but I'm still unsure of resistor size. I've done a lot of reading about this to make sure I get it right and it seems lots of people use different sizes :S

One of the better reviews I've seen suggested to use a 2w 2 ohm resistor, and in the comments someone else suggested a 2w 2.2 ohm, and I have seen other people suggest 3 ohm as well, so I'm a bit confused now. From some reading on the net the main thing that needs to be correct is the ohm rating, and after talking to a couple of guys at my local jaycar store they told me that the wattage rating just determines how much heat/energy the resistor can dissipate before overloading. Please correct me if I'm wrong. One of them also said a resistor can work within 10% of its ohm rating as well. They didn't have any 2w 2ohm resistors in stock, so I bought a 5w 2.2ohm one (only 40 cents each) instead and if what they said is correct I shouldn't have any issues, but I want to make sure.

So the reason I'm posting is I want to know if anyone else has used this method to fix the airbag light and whether you were successful with the size resistor you used.

Also the only reason I'm doing this is for when I go to the track and a few daily drives either side of the track day which can't be helped due to work, will the circuit marshals let me out on the track with my airbag light on? And i may as well ask while I'm going, after my header install I'm getting a CEL, no doubt the o2 sensor, will they let me out there with that light on as well? I won't be getting kpro for a little while is all

Thanks in advance for any info/advice you guys can provide

Ryan

Ok as always after posting I have found the info I was after so I thought I'd share it with you all for future reference.

This thread below is a DIY from OzHomo about the exact same problem but in an Accord.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...t-Bucket-Seats.

The thread confirms that using a 5 watt resistor is fine even when a 2 watt is all that is needed, and that resistors can work inside +\- 10% of their rating in ohms. So a 2.2 ohm resistor shouldn't cause any issues. The reason I am so confident that it will work fine is because the info in the above thread matches what has been written in this thread on Clubrsx below:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...ermarket+seats

I'll hopefully get time to put the seat in tomorrow and let you know how I go with it!

Ryan

Comment

I don't remember the wattage of the resistor, but I couldn't find a 2.2ohm resistor when I did this, and used, I think it was 2ohms, and it still fixed the airbag light.

Comment

Originally posted by lukits01 View Post
        I don't remember the wattage of the resistor, but I couldn't find a 2.2ohm resistor when I did this, and used, I think it was 2ohms, and it still fixed the airbag light.
        Yeh, I think the correct "ohmage" (think that would be the word) to complete the circuit is 2 ohms but because a resistor can work within 10% plus or minus of its ohm rating, a 2.2 should be fine as well. I was the opposite and couldn't find any 2 ohm, they only had 2.2 so I'm giving that a go

Comment

Ok my Sparco seat is in the car and feels awesome! the 5w 2.2ohm resistor did the trick as there is no airbag light upon startup, quite happy with the result. I'll post up some decent pics when my Internet is back up and running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X