Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K20a3 fun till frank build up!

Hi all!!

Ive met some cool guys on here pickin up bits and pieces for my base DC5.

I'm going to do a little built thread when I get round to taking some decent pictures.

So far I'm having fun doing little things on the car like:

- Type S header/cat, Type R catback
    - K&N Drop in filter
    - Exceedy H/D clutch
    - Type R wing

I'm not minding the tourqey feel of the K20a3 at the moment, so i'm gonna go a little further with my mods, but realistically I want to wind a building a Frankenstein K24/20 motor.

I'm planning to swap my Cams and rockers with some k24A3 ones ive picked up. The idea is to illiminate the LMA assemblies and springs so I have a fully functional 2 lobe vtec on the intake and exhaust. Its a fairly straight forward swap, however the tuning side of things is slightly more difficult.

So I figure I'll get Kpro installed in my base ECU and start with a K20a2 map and street tune for fuel only and keep vtc less than 40deg to be safe, also Ill keep the crossover point nice and low, maybe around 3500rpm ish and keep my redline low also. It sounds silly but i really like the variable length intake manifold, so if I can keep that ill be happy.

A few guys in the states have done this successfully. I'm not tuning to make the highest numbers, just having some fun till the frank comes along.

Who do you guys reccomend to supply and tune Kpro for me? Im in the Sydney area most of the week if that helps?

It would nice to have a base kal made up for me, or alternatively ill do the above and baby it to the tuner. Im just avoiding keeping the car off the road too long.

Hope this makes sence. Let me know what you think?

Isaac

There are a couple of guys who can supply and tune Kpro for you..

BYP - Who are quite active on this forum.

Adrian @ Toda - Not sure if he supplies but he does tune, also a bit hard to get in contact with.

JDM Yard - Just heard recently that they are now supplying and tuning Kpros!

Hit them all up for quotes and details

Not sure if this belongs in technical section though..
    Shak's S2000

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Shakeel.

I wasn't sure where to post this one.

Comment

I think the technical section is fine for this, but you just need to ask more questions .

Your post is unclear, are you going to street tune it yourself or take it to a professional to be tuned?

Unsure of who can supply you with a Kpro, but once you have one it only takes basic knowledge to get the AF ratios to be safe under load or alternatively as long as you drive it around part throttle it will be fine because the closed loop functionality in the ECU will take care of fueling. I'd start with a K20A3 map (I assume this is available, I have never looked in the stock Kals provided) and add fuel where appropriate and retain the stock ignition and cam timing until you either decide to street tune it or get it done by someone else.

Comment

I know there is a US k20a3 base map and a 91oct map. Both hand the variable intake function selected in k manager.

Maybe it is best to tow the car to the tuner? I have no worries tuning AFR but it's VTC I'm concerned about.

Also Does anyone know if the k20 50deg VTC gear is safe to use with the euro cams or should I install the 25deg?

Comment

I think the only way to be sure is to dummy it up and clay the motor with an intake cam gear you can adjust manually. I'd imagine the valve reliefs on the K20A3 pistons are not as large as some of the other K series motors given that the stock cams are probably pretty conservative on lift and duration, so maybe the full 50 degrees won't be achievable.

No-one in the US has fitted the Euro/TSX cams to a K20A3 and bothered to check the piston to valve clearance?

Comment

Claying the motor is the logical thing to do. Im not hugely keen on pulling the motor down that far. A few guys in the US have gone the same paths with Cams/rocker combo and just limiting cam angle to 35-40 deg to be safe.
              I just spotted a thread on k20.org about a 199hp k20a3 running a2 cams!!
              Crazy, I'm realistic tho, if I can put down 130ish I'd be happy as!
              Thanks for the help chargeR

Comment

Working...
              X