steering feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering feedback

I've driven some cars where the steering wheel jes slides back to its original position when you let go of the wheel after you've completed the corner. And i've driven some cars where the steering doesn't snap back as easily after taking a corner i.e. I have to kind of turn it back to its original position to go straight. Not sure if I've expressed myself clearly but hope you guys understand.

What mechanical part of the car determines this characteristic?
    eckoflyte

The caster setting has a major part in it.

Quoted from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4

Increasing the amount of positive caster will increase steering effort and straight line tracking, as well as improve high speed stability and cornering effectiveness. Positive caster also increases tire lean when cornering (almost like having more negative camber) as the steering angle is increased.

Also the width of your tyres plays a large part. Narrow tyres have a "longer" contact patch (see thread Re: tyre/mag DC2) and will therefore create the "centering" effect in the steering vs. wider tyres with a "shorter" contact patch.
    | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

also toe in/out will affect it, but less so than castor...
      ... retired/

Comment

The power steering unit have a self centering ability this may vary from car to car.
        The weight of the rotating assembley (wheel, tyre, brake rotor) and the speed of it would have some affect due to the gyroscopic effect.
        F/S: VTI-R Civic

Comment

Working...
        X