Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering Exhaust Hangers?

Hey guys,

My new Skunk2 Mega Power exhaust is lightly touching my rear lip and it is starting to burn when I drive, black marks have lightly appeared already.

Is there any way I can get extended hangers (rubbers) to lower the exhaust a little, anyone know where to find them online etc?

Any help will be appreciated but I'll also try and head over to Performance Exhausts this weekend and see what they say

thanks,
    David
    1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
    1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
    2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
    F1 Nut

i've seen extended rubbers before but i'm not sure where to find them

if you're going to an exhaust shop maybe they can extend the metal hanging hooks for you a little bit .. i dunno whichever is easier and quickest as you dont wanna burn the lip since your car is white

edit just found this: http://http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ADJUSTABLE-HEAVY-DUTY-EXHAUST-HANGER-MITSUBISHI-10mm-/350405922409?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item5195d20e69

I think thats what you mean right?
    Last edited by Shakeel; 26-03-12, 05:01 PM.
    Shak's S2000

Comment

Just get two exhaust bushes and join together with nut and bolt. That way it'll lower how your exhaust sits slightly without having to modify the hangers.

I've done that a few times, never had any issues.

Good luck!

Comment

bend the hangers?

rubber mallet might be enough...
        ... retired/

Comment

not too keen on bending them ghetto style just yet, im liking the idea of longer hangers, apparently this exhaust place im going to has them and so does supercheap :P

RHCP
          F1 Nut

Comment

Curious to know, when you bolted the exhaust up, did you place spacers around the lip (the "U" section)?
            I remember when my system was fitted, i specifically remember the exhaust shop placing spacers in between the cannon all round to ensure it was a centre fit and would avoid burning the lip.

speak to an exhaust shop, might be a cheap easy fix david instead of getting extended hangers

Comment

haha yee, ill be heading to performance exhausts on saturday. I have no intention of extending the hangers though, I will either
              A) Get longer hanger rubbers
              or
              B) Bend the hangers themselves to force it to sit lower.

Looked them up online, no more than 15 bucks for the longer rubber hangers

RHCP
              F1 Nut

Comment

Originally posted by dnapol View Post
                haha yee, ill be heading to performance exhausts on saturday. I have no intention of extending the hangers though, I will either
                A) Get longer hanger rubbers
                or
                B) Bend the hangers themselves to force it to sit lower.

Looked them up online, no more than 15 bucks for the longer rubber hangers
                Did you end up getting the longer rubber hangers? I have the same issue with my skunk2 system. Where did you get them from?

Cheers
                Just going for a drive ~146.4kw~

Comment

Originally posted by Batchy View Post
                  Did you end up getting the longer rubber hangers? I have the same issue with my skunk2 system. Where did you get them from?

Cheers
                  I went to the exhaust shop and they put it up on the hoist. The easiest mode of lowering was to heat the hangers and simply bend them down a little. It sits lower now and no burning. Costed 35$ labour and I reckon is probably the best as if you go to sell you can say it fits dc5 type R perfectly now as apposed to a cheap fix with hangers

RHCP
                  F1 Nut

Comment

Originally posted by dnapol View Post
                    I went to the exhaust shop and they put it up on the hoist. The easiest mode of lowering was to heat the hangers and simply bend them down a little. It sits lower now and no burning. Costed 35$ labour and I reckon is probably the best as if you go to sell you can say it fits dc5 type R perfectly now as apposed to a cheap fix with hangers
                    I was thinking about heating them up as well! as it wont effect the structure of the metal as much as a simple bash method would. Awesome I will get onto that. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Batchy View Post
                      I was thinking about heating them up as well! as it wont effect the structure of the metal as much as a simple bash method would. Awesome I will get onto that. Thanks!
                      Just to correct you.
                      Heating the metal does more harm then bashing the metal with a mallet (rubber or steel) but for this scenario it's perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
                        Just to correct you.
                        Heating the metal does more harm then bashing the metal with a mallet (rubber or steel) but for this scenario it's perfectly fine.
                        Really?? I thought bashing it has a higher chance to cause a weak spot/ crack while heating it will be able to bend as a whole unit. Anyway will get that fixed during the week.

Comment

go pick and pay less and go through a couple of cars untill you find a hanger rubber that would suit.
                          sigpic
                          128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Working...
                          X