Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhausts - Custom Made VS Aftermarket Japanese

Hi guys,

I'd like some knowledge and opinions on this topic. I'd like to upgrade my exhaust, partly because its clunking on my car chassis on hard shifts and annoys me. And also because it makes too much noise and the police look at me.

This is my current system - Mugen headers, hi flow cat and 2.5 inch Toda Dolphin tail cat back.
    This is my proposed system - Mugen headers, 3inch 100cel hi flow cat, custom 3 inch piping to 3 inch Varex Butterfly muffler.

Now people are telling me that alot of RandD has gone into aftermarket exhausts e.g Toda, Mugen. But seriously when I look at an exhaust how much brainwork is there? All I see is a pipe, straight as possible + No bottle necks = Good exhaust.

So why do we splurge on expensive exhausts and more importantly is there any justification to it?

I know about Mild vs stainless steel and the benefits of titanium.
    How certain exhausts have a nice "sound" Yes I want a nice tone, and roar but Im not going to invest 34583458375 for it, just enough so it doesnt sound like a fart cannon.

Please join in.
    The Gun Metal DC5R

it seems your preposed system would be louder than your current system? Didn't you want a quiter system?
    S2000
    WSID : TBA
    Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
    Smooth As Detailing
    Incar Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Flippit View Post
      it seems your preposed system would be louder than your current system? Didn't you want a quiter system?
      I agree that it will be louder. but I assume with the butterfly muffler it is the type that can open and close (loud and soft)....

However I have heard that the module that runs the electronics can rust (underbody water from rain) and can cause it all to fail ?
      1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
      1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
      2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
      F1 Nut

Comment

With the Varex closed Im thinking that even with a larger higher flowing exhaust, it'd still be quiet.

Originally posted by dnapol View Post
        I agree that it will be louder. but I assume with the butterfly muffler it is the type that can open and close (loud and soft)....

However I have heard that the module that runs the electronics can rust (underbody water from rain) and can cause it all to fail ?
        Oh ok. Wouldn't warranty cover that? Im sure they'd water proof it now.
        I heard that they are illegal. But at the same time they arent.
        If you get noise tested it would be with the valve closed? Correct or am I off? Cause they cant test you with the valve open when there are two settings. Its like failing to tests for just the one paper.
        The Gun Metal DC5R

Comment

You'll need a resonator if you wanted a quieter system..

It's really all about the design of the resonator and muffler that you pay for, your proposed system will probably sound really raspy like a tin can

Comment

yeah thats true but I reckon whats the point of that. They are illegal first of all and as mentioned they tend to cease up. Alot of people now put the varex's in the middle after the cat and before the muffler so then the cops can't see it or tell as it will look like a standard muffler/resonator.

I reckon just go a full 2 1/4 system?
            S2000
            WSID : TBA
            Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
            Smooth As Detailing
            Incar Racing

Comment

Honestly IMO (been looking at exhausts for ages). Find an exhaust by a well known company that has a nice note that you are after and fits your budget. If you get EPA's you can chuck stock on an pass then go straight back to what you had. This is what I plan on doing so I avoid any type of gimmick (varex).

Im sure warranty would cover it, but surely you dont want to go through that. its just an unessesary hassle
              1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
              1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
              2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
              F1 Nut

Comment

Varex systems are illegal. No ifs/buts.

Also toda exhaust systems are designed specifically to sit lower at the midpipe so it doesnt hit the chassis. Whoever installed system must have modified it to sit closer to the chassis.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've run the following on my car:
                  - Mugen twin loop
                  - 'Custom' stainless 3'

If you get a quality exhaust shop to make up the exhaust, they should last just as long as each other.

I'm running 2 muffler in mine. The mid muffler isn't that big. But the rear one is MASSIVE! It sounds good under WOT (rather deep) no raspy noise what so ever, and is rather bearable - extended highway driving Ian annoying. Under 3k it isn't that loud... but anything about 4k for extended periods of time is rather annoying.

I want with this opposition as it cost me $800 all up for a new exhaust, there is nothing on the pre-fab market that is 3' in diameter and a lot of the k-swap guys in the states http great results with a 3'.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
                    You'll need a resonator if you wanted a quieter system..

It's really all about the design of the resonator and muffler that you pay for, your proposed system will probably sound really raspy like a tin can
                    Would the dreaded tin can noise be in correlation with the quality of metals used? I was listening to my gf's motorbike. She has a stainless steel one and it sounds ALOT better than a titanium one. Titanium was ironically the inferior product imo.

yeah thats true but I reckon whats the point of that. They are illegal first of all and as mentioned they tend to cease up. Alot of people now put the varex's in the middle after the cat and before the muffler so then the cops can't see it or tell as it will look like a standard muffler/resonator.

I reckon just go a full 2 1/4 system?
                    That sounds like a major pain in the arse. Lol I've seen it too. Its stupid. I know the HSV's have butterfly valves. Y POLICE NO DEFECT?

I've already have one, was thinking since I was changing it I might aswell go abit larger.

I guess I cant have my cake and eat it aswell....

Also like your opinion on this guys. Would upgrading from a 2.5 inch to a 2.75 yield any gain? They'd be minimal and not worth it right?
                    The Gun Metal DC5R

Comment

Originally posted by dnapol View Post
                      Honestly IMO (been looking at exhausts for ages). Find an exhaust by a well known company that has a nice note that you are after and fits your budget. If you get EPA's you can chuck stock on an pass then go straight back to what you had. This is what I plan on doing so I avoid any type of gimmick (varex).

Im sure warranty would cover it, but surely you dont want to go through that. its just an unessesary hassle
                      True.

Originally posted by Symphorced View Post

Also toda exhaust systems are designed specifically to sit lower at the midpipe so it doesnt hit the chassis. Whoever installed system must have modified it to sit closer to the chassis.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
                      Ok thanks. Yea that might bethe case mine is F*(ked. It was fine until I changed my cat and threw out the alignment?

Originally posted by 45SET View Post
                      I've run the following on my car:
                      - Mugen twin loop
                      - 'Custom' stainless 3'

If you get a quality exhaust shop to make up the exhaust, they should last just as long as each other.

I'm running 2 muffler in mine. The mid muffler isn't that big. But the rear one is MASSIVE! It sounds good under WOT (rather deep) no raspy noise what so ever, and is rather bearable - extended highway driving Ian annoying. Under 3k it isn't that loud... but anything about 4k for extended periods of time is rather annoying.

I want with this opposition as it cost me $800 all up for a new exhaust, there is nothing on the pre-fab market that is 3' in diameter and a lot of the k-swap guys in the states http great results with a 3'.
                      This is something I'd probably go for Robi. 3 inch cat from header, then big arse hot dog with a twin loop muffler.

Did you have troubles getting a muffler to fit halfway on the exhaust?
                      The Gun Metal DC5R

Comment

Ive got a custom 2 1/4 exhaust that was made for custom headers and high flow cat. It is alot more quieter than my current exhaust even with a silencer. Its more personal preference to be honest. But for the engine you got go 3inch
                        Last edited by Hau; 22-03-12, 07:16 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Maybe go have a chat to Dale at Castle Hill Exhaust?
                          1988 CRX
                          1999 Integra Type R
                          2020 Civic Type R

Comment

Originally posted by Symphorced View Post
                            Dude you have to explain why, provide factual evidence, or at least anecdotal.
                            Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

Originally posted by cordz View Post
                              Dude you have to explain why, provide factual evidence, or at least anecdotal.
                              Agreed. For the furtherment of the thread. If furtherment is even a word..
                              The Gun Metal DC5R

Comment

Working...
                              X