Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing wheel studs - new wheel bearings required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing wheel studs - new wheel bearings required?

Hey Guys,

Looking at changing my studs to extended studs, should I change wheel bearings...

is it neccessary, or what are the implications if I DONT change bearings?

Cheers
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Depends Alex,if you press the bearing out properly,no you dont have to replace wheel bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzo321 View Post
      Depends Alex,if you press the bearing out properly,no you dont have to replace wheel bearings.
      You sure? Im under the impression that to change/replace studs PROEPRLY, you have yo replace the wheel bearing, the shrotcut way is to not touch the bearing.
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

If the wheel bearings get pressed out, I've been recommended that you should replace it no matter what.

I've got all extended studs both front and rear. Front, bearings replaced. Rear, no need to touch anything there.
        ClubITR | Like

Comment

On the dc2 you had to have the front bearings pressed out to have the studs changed.

Comment

What about dc5?
            Integra Type R
            Integra Type S
            S2000

Comment

why wouldn't you take the opportunity to change them?
              how much are they each?
              02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Quite exoensive from memory. That exxy i cant even spell right
                Integra Type R
                Integra Type S
                S2000

Comment

I'm changing all my wheel bearings when I install longer wheel studs. Thought about doing it the shortcut way but decided to doing it properly but removing the knuckle and press out the bearing to replace the studs.

You might as well change them esp with the intention of adding spacers put more loading on the bearings themselves.

You can source non geniune bearings, I got NTN bearings for my eg.
                  Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                    Quite exoensive from memory. That exxy i cant even spell right
                    they're like $60 each for ntn
                    k20A DC2R

Comment

I think around $150 per bearing from honda??

I changed my front bearing sabout a year ago. U reckon they should be fine? Or nay
                      Integra Type R
                      Integra Type S
                      S2000

Comment

If you're already paying the labour to press the hubs out then I would replace the bearings and the hubs too. Two hubs and two bearings should be around $350 from the US. The inner race of the wheel bearing will stick to the hub when it is pressed out, and you might get lucky and the inner race might slide back into the bearing nicely without damaging the bearing, but I doubt it.

There is another method: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                          If you're already paying the labour to press the hubs out then I would replace the bearings and the hubs too. Two hubs and two bearings should be around $350 from the US. The inner race of the wheel bearing will stick to the hub when it is pressed out, and you might get lucky and the inner race might slide back into the bearing nicely without damaging the bearing, but I doubt it.

There is another method: LINK
                          Sorry for the noob question but what's the reasoning behind replacing the hubs at the same time? Can you not re-use the old ones with new bearings?

Again sorry if it's a stupid question... I have no idea about this stuff

Comment

Originally posted by MRK20A View Post
                            Sorry for the noob question but what's the reasoning behind replacing the hubs at the same time? Can you not re-use the old ones with new bearings?

Again sorry if it's a stupid question... I have no idea about this stuff
                            I'm just a cautious guy, you can certainly re-use the hubs.

However it is possible for the inner race of the wheel bearing to develop play on the hub and for the hub to wear. I replaced one of my front bearings once, and the hub looked a little dicey, then had problems with that same bearing after a relatively short period had passed. I then replaced the wheel bearing along with the hub with no issues since. Since the hubs are cheap they are worth doing if you are paying for the labour (or going to the effort to do it yourself) to take them out anyway.

Comment

Interesting Tom. So theres a guy selling these over the internet, its a complete type s 5 stud conversion.... if I was to bolt off my hubs complete with my studs and wheel bearing sand simply bolt his hubs back on, this is going to ensure no damage to wheel bearings right?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/img0512k.jpg/
                              Integra Type R
                              Integra Type S
                              S2000

Comment

Working...
                              X