Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pressure regulator

Hi

was talking to a local Mech that drives a CRX Del Sol Turbo about adding a fuel pressure regulator kit.

he swear by this mod and reckon its the best thing since sliced bread and works great regardless of N/A engine or FI

Fuel pressure regulator start from $30 up to $140
    looking at a Tomei kit for about $80 landed

Questions...

Who has this mod?
    Any difference?
    only for Turbo cars? yes/no? why?
    would you recommend?
    Myths?
    Pro vs cons

cheers!
    Tyrepower North Melbourne
    Christopher Lai | Owner - Operator
    0433 33 90 38 | 03 9329 7333

PM/SMS for a quote | Tyres / Wheels / Alignment

212 Abbotsford St, North Melbourne

--------------------------------
    Honda DC2 | Nissan S15 | BMW Z4M | Honda DC5

Originally posted by theHKway View Post
    Hi

was talking to a local Mech that drives a CRX Del Sol Turbo about adding a fuel pressure regulator kit.

you were asking hm about adding one to yours?

he swear by this mod and reckon its the best thing since sliced bread and works great regardless of N/A engine or FI

lol!

Questions...

Who has this mod?

I do.

Any difference?

my car engine would be destroyed if i didnt have it.

only for Turbo cars? yes/no? why?

no. it is for highly modified engines, includign boosted/supercharged/nitrous that require adjustable (usually higher) fuel pressure due to injector changes or fuel map changes or boosted inlets.

would you recommend?

not for a car with stock ECU,

Myths?

"that adding a FPR kit is the best thing since sliced bread"

Pro vs cons

pro - stops engine blowing up when tuned properly (on dyno)

con - can blow engine up if not tuned properly.

cheers!
    hope this helps

but not knowing your engine mods, it is hard to understand why someone would tell you to get one...
    ... retired/

Comment

^ word. A FPR regulates the amount of fuel pressure on the basis of inlet boost pressure, to prevent leaning out. It's a complex system but basically it detects raising of boost levels, and adds fuel pressure accordingly.

Very useful for turbo cars. Hence thats why your mech had a CRX turbo.
      Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

mods a pretty basic
        no cams etc

i have V-ACF going in soon and was thinking about putting in a FPR before getting the dyno tune.

he did say you need to becareful and need to know what your doing with it.
        he said u can run 40psi quite safe.
        will increase responce and a little power over store fuel pressure.

cost vs gain?

tinkerbell

what do you mean by "my car engine would be destroyed if i didnt have it"
        why do you have a AFPR?
        what mods do you have that would benifit with a AFPR?

thanks!

Comment

I would not waste your time with a VAFC, by the time you buy it and get it tuned you have spent a good proportion of what a proper ECU like KPro will cost. From my limited experience most of the gains in tuning a K series come from more aggressive cam angles in the mid range and more aggressive timing, but maybe the BYP boys can clarify this.

Also stock DC5R fuel pressure is 50psi, so you won't gain anything by running it lower except you will have to the run the injectors at a higher duty cycle to maintain good A/F ratios. Stock injectors work well with stock fuel pressure.

Comment

mods a pretty basic
            no cams etc

i have V-ACF going in soon and was thinking about putting in a FPR before getting the dyno tune.
            fitting a AFPR is just another distraction, focus on tuning the VAFC as it can change the fuel delivery - the AFPR is a coarse tuning tool.

he did say you need to becareful and need to know what your doing with it.
            he said u can run 40psi quite safe.
            will increase responce and a little power over store fuel pressure.
            does he know you have a DC5? with a returnless fuel system?

cost vs gain?

tinkerbell

what do you mean by "my car engine would be destroyed if i didnt have it"
            why do you have a AFPR?
            what mods do you have that would benifit with a AFPR?

thanks!
            my engine is 'built' an has ID725cc injectors with fuel pressure is set to 80psi (no vac)... it is tuned to around 160kW.

higher static FP = lower duty cycle and better atomisation...

i use this Aeromotive 13109 to control the fuel pressure of my engine...
            ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
              I would not waste your time with a VAFC, by the time you buy it and get it tuned you have spent a good proportion of what a proper ECU like KPro will cost. From my limited experience most of the gains in tuning a K series come from more aggressive cam angles in the mid range and more aggressive timing, but maybe the BYP boys can clarify this.
              Your right Tom! A Hondata Kpro is a much better investment than a VAFC. The K-series gains the most from the VTC changes (cam angles)
              BYP Racing & Developments
              Built. Tuned. Driven
              Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Thanks to all the info found here, AFPR sounds like rubbish now

you guys are great!! Cheers!

VAFC is a cheap piggy back unit only for mild gain if you have a few mods..

i've been reading up on the VACF and it seems like an almost waste if you consider the cost you need to pay vs gain by the time you ...
                1. purchase
                2. install
                3. dyno tune

lucky for myself i have great mates which help me justify the cost vs benefits (some will say almost no benefits)

BUT!

1. im selling my SACF and RSM which i got for free to cover the cost of my VACF
                2. installing was almsot free thanks to "richies installs"
                3. i get a Dyno hookup at chasers motorworks west melbourne (sweet)

i know i should be going k-pro and the like... but after spending thens of thousands of $$$ on my previous cars i wont be going there again.

i'll be going for a dyno tuns on Thursday so i'll post up the difference and dyno results (seems to be none online)

not expecting much gain, but will be good to know that the car is tuned well by the boys at Chasers Motorworks and is running at optimal Air/fuel ratios

cheers boys, learnt a lot!

Comment

i'll be going for a dyno tuns on Thursday so i'll post up the difference and dyno results (seems to be none online)

not expecting much gain, but will be good to know that the car is tuned well by the boys at Chasers Motorworks and is running at optimal Air/fuel ratios

cheers boys, learnt a lot!
                  piggyback tip: make sure you fully reset your ECU before the dyno tune to clear all the learned 'fuel trims'

but let it relearn the idle immediately afterwards before tuning...
                  ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                  X