Taking apart the headlight housing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking apart the headlight housing!

Hey guys, my dc2r headlights are yellow and filthy, so i've taken out the lights to give 'em a clean.

Now i can't seem to get the actually housing apart, i feel like im ganna snap the clips, also is the gasket adhesive? feels like its stuck together.

And say i do get them apart and cleaned, could i just use a little bit of silicone over the original gasket to seal it up?

Any help appreciated.

ps- i would have googled this shit but im on a ps3- it freezes whenever i try to google anything lmao.
    k20A DC2R

Ok so it turns out you have to put them in a preheated oven @ 100c and cook for 5 minutes, then pry open with flathead screwdriver.

Obviously remove bulbs and any rubber and shit on it before putting into oven.

Will report back in the morning with results lol.
    k20A DC2R

Comment

Just use a neutral curing silcone and you'd be fine!!!!!!
      sigpic
      128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

At the place i use to work i use to use a heat gun. i wouldnt take apart a headlight if i didnt know how to do it as you can burn the internals of the headlight. All i can say is be very very careful
        sigpic

Comment

Don't seal them back up with silicone, they will never come apart again.

Just do the reverse of what you did to pull them apart - put both parts into a preheated oven at 100c, turn oven off and leave them in for 7-8mins. Push the two parts back together.

The sealant will re-seal perfectly fine.

PS. What was inside your lights? Usually only the oxidation crap needs to be polished from the outside!
          | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by Hau View Post
            At the place i use to work i use to use a heat gun. i wouldnt take apart a headlight if i didnt know how to do it as you can burn the internals of the headlight. All i can say is be very very careful
            A heat gun is more likely to cause issues than evenly heating the whole light in the oven. Less heat is needed overall because all of the sealant goes tacky at the same time and is much easier to separate the light assembly. If you use a heat gun then you have to OVER heat parts of it so that it doesn't cool before you can heat the whole thing.
            | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
              A heat gun is more likely to cause issues than evenly heating the whole light in the oven. Less heat is needed overall because all of the sealant goes tacky at the same time and is much easier to separate the light assembly. If you use a heat gun then you have to OVER heat parts of it so that it doesn't cool before you can heat the whole thing.
              yeah that is true. the only reason why we had to use a heat gun is that we didnt have an oven to use
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys.

Well i ended up scrubbing the outside with toothpaste and tootbrush.... came up great! The only reason i thought it was on the inside was because only one headlight was yellow, so i thought it was a gasket...

LOL wish i read your posts before i did this freakygeek, oh well lets hope i never have to pull em apart again.
                k20A DC2R

Comment

Working...
                X