My thoughts on the Defi Advance ZD display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts on the Defi Advance ZD display

So I've had the Defi unit for a couple days now. Loving it. Something new to look at whilst I drive too, been setting the tacho lower so theres alot more action with the link meter during Daily Driving.

I purchased it from perfectrun.jp. Amazing customer service, Purchased it, shipped out next day complete with tracking number and received it in 5 working days.

Also purchased a Trust water hose adaptor and had a Trust sandwich plate sitting in garage forawhile.

Went to Top One and had this installed with another part and a general service.

when i first opened it, i felt a bit let down. The unit itself looked so small and I thought *shit, I should have gotton 3 x 52mm gauges and relocated ym A/C controls*

I put it up for sale as at the same time, I got into an accident and a track day comming up was cancelled because of this, and if it sold, I'd might look into relocating the A/C like the yanks over on ClubRSX.

A couple months passed, paid for CircuitClub on 26/01 so gotta get it installed.

I love the Advance series as its much more clean and discreet. The control unit is so so much smaller and easier to mount in the car. I went with the Link Meter over the traditional triple gauge setup, but IMO its too in your face and I didnt like how it flowed on the DC5 dash, and a Defi singledin was out of the question as i already have a double din taking up precious real estate interior wise.

At Stevans gym last night Anytime Fitness took a night shot of it.

A shot following Stevan:

I've never had gauges before so I really cannot compare to how good these gauges are, but the tacho alone compared to my tacho on the Integra is real accurate!

A shot of it from the front;

Dislikes about the unit, or negatives so far.

I've been considering this link meter for approximately 9 months, I used to watch this vid onyoutube over and over again;

Watching it a dead set 50 times, I had drilled into my head that the shift indicator would light up different colours. I wasnt a fan of it, but I wouldnt mind having the option of alternating between the red LED's and this triple colour setup. Not sure what model defi link meter this is, its definiately an Advance ZD model but iwth different LED's?? Regardless, I'd prefer the red LED to flow with the oem colour of lights.

Another annoying thing of the link meter is installing it on a Type S. It shows inaccurate speed output. cruising at any speed above 60km/h, it will tell me im doing 399km/h. Annoying, but an easy fix. Purchase hybrid Racing's 05-06 speed converter. However at the cost of $200, definiately not worthwhile. I've fixed this by having the link meter display voltage instead of an incorrect speed.

A shot of it in the day time showing locations of units

Last edited by felixR; 04-12-17, 08:20 AM.
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Nice review, looks a little simular to my Apexi RSM (But RSM doesn't show as much info).

What type of info does this show?
    Last edited by felixR; 04-12-17, 08:20 AM.

Comment

haha cheers Robi,

This defi unit, in the Clubsport Package, it comes with sensors to read water temp, oil temp/pressure. You can hook up other gauges or sensors to read EGT, Fuel pressure, boost etc. It has a Time Attack feature that basically records your fastest 0-100km/h. can show odometer, trip, time, voltage, has a few other displays but the display I have shown in pics above is the most informative imo, like i said, i removed speed to show voltage as its incorrect for a Type S. for your dc5r, you wont have any dramas if u thinking of getting it.

PS - ppl have always said the water temp gauge in our oem clusters are inaccurate. This defiantely shows that. No matter if im driving slow, gibing it a bit of a squirt, or out on the track, the needle still shows it has a1/3 from the bottom. The water temp changes quite often comapred to the cluster!
      Last edited by plAythiNG; 15-01-12, 04:05 PM.
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

Thanks for sharing Alex!
        ClubITR | Like

Comment

After driving and palying with it over the weekend. I love how simple Defi made in using the compact buttons in the Advance control unit.

When compared to the previous model:

The advance control unit is much much smaller. Just as easy to operate.

I really love how the buttons are listed in rows of three, and depending if you slide the switch to REAl, PLAY, or SET. you can see which button does what as it is either TOP, middle, or bottom respectively depending on the slider selection.

Only one negative on this setup IMO is I'd rather have it shows REAL, SET, and then PLAY. Reason why is once i've setup all the warning values etc, not really any reason to reset them again, unless your like me and like to paly with a new toy that lgihts up and makes noises at you lol.

On a serious note, once it is all setup, as said above, you wouldnt really want to readjust everything. So you'd either use REAL or PLAY. As I was playing with the record function and wanted to replay it, I found it a lil difficult to slide the switch down one click to PLAY, it went down to SET. I found I had to use two hands, one hand to support the control unit and other hand to slide the switch only down one click. Just a tad of an annoyance IMO and would have thought Defi's R&D team would have picked up on this.
          Integra Type R
          Integra Type S
          S2000

Comment

how much that set you back, looks great
            k20A DC2R

Comment

the unit itself is $750-780 from memory, water hose adaptor was $30? and the sadnwich plate aroudn $80... installation expect to pay $250+
              Integra Type R
              Integra Type S
              S2000

Comment

I assume this replaced the old defi d-Link seris they were selling?
                ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

Comment

Great write up
                  I was thinking of buying this of you when it was forsale, but I procrastinated! Already got the three gauge setup

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                    I assume this replaced the old defi d-Link seris they were selling?
                    Yeah with a few more "gimmick" options, but main one is the tacho with shift light

Originally posted by maracer View Post
                    Great write up
                    I was thinking of buying this of you when it was forsale, but I procrastinated! Already got the three gauge setup
                    Yeah i love it so far, but i got nothing to compare it too except for my own opinion lol. Have u ever had any cop trouble with yours mario especially down in melb? I mounted mine hard against the a pillar
                    Integra Type R
                    Integra Type S
                    S2000

Comment

Funny you should ask?
                      Got random reg/licence check today, only for the officer to ask, you like hotted up cars?
                      Yes I do officer, Yes I do. Everything's good take care, thanks Officer

Comment

Originally posted by maracer View Post
                        Funny you should ask?
                        Got random reg/licence check today, only for the officer to ask, you like hotted up cars?
                        Yes I do officer, Yes I do. Everything's good take care, thanks Officer
                        Well spoken good sir.

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                          Yeah with a few more "gimmick" options, but main one is the tacho with shift light

What's gimmicky about it?

Checking that youtube video, i gather the display can read almost any variable if you buy the sensor?

I do like this thing. Let us know if it comes in handy down at circuit club today, especially the shift lights.
                          Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

On way home early
                            From wakiefield... Headache was too much. I'll review it soon
                            Integra Type R
                            Integra Type S
                            S2000

Comment

OK, so i ate and feel much much better.

In regards to the defi's on the track.

Simple, easy to read. just look over and see it easily.

Was cautious and left my warning alarm on 115deg for the oil temp and it went well over that. so you cansee it clearly if u go over a certain temp. I think this was annoying Berty when he was in the car lol.

I gotta admit the shift indicator noise is useless, the exhaust just cancels out all noise lol.

But for what their used, to read temps and pressures. a very good unit and I'd reccomend it to anyone.
                              Integra Type R
                              Integra Type S
                              S2000

Comment

Working...
                              X