X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nothing wrong with rotas

just do whatever suits your budget

but dont skimp out on the rubber that goes around it - because the rim might have a 2% chance crack or buckle but the tyres keep you on the road 100% of the time

Comment

Rims. More fun in the Philippines.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
        Some people buy genuine wheels when a replica is available for reasons other than peer pressure. Some people could not care less what other people think of their wheels.
        This is true. I.E some wheels usually are manufactured with a high quality forging process (Volk TE37, CE28N) , which makes wheels slightly stronger but significantly lighter than cast forged wheels (Rota's, Enkei, Advan RS, usually more complex designs that require two pieces)
        Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

Rota wheels has a really bad rep a while back.

they seems to have no problems now.

we've seen many customers come in with rota wheels now no problems so far

just remember....

good quality wheels will buckle & bend (if hit hard enough....)
          poorly casted wheels will snap and crack
          Tyrepower North Melbourne
          Christopher Lai | Owner - Operator
          0433 33 90 38 | 03 9329 7333

PM/SMS for a quote | Tyres / Wheels / Alignment

212 Abbotsford St, North Melbourne

--------------------------------
          Honda DC2 | Nissan S15 | BMW Z4M | Honda DC5

Comment

Originally posted by cordz View Post
            This is true. I.E some wheels usually are manufactured with a high quality forging process (Volk TE37, CE28N) , which makes wheels slightly stronger but significantly lighter than cast forged wheels (Rota's, Enkei, Advan RS, usually more complex designs that require two pieces)
            the PROBLEM with copying a forged rim, like CE28, and then using a casting process to make it is that the wheel design was probably based on the understanding that the wheel would be forged, not cast...

so take from that what you will...

if you made say a Ferrari 458 wheel by casting instead of forging, you'd probly have four broken rims at the first corner...
            ... retired/

Comment

I've had rotas before. No problems at all.
              Deano.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                the PROBLEM with copying a forged rim, like CE28, and then using a casting process to make it is that the wheel design was probably based on the understanding that the wheel would be forged, not cast...

so take from that what you will...

if you made say a Ferrari 458 wheel by casting instead of forging, you'd probly have four broken rims at the first corner...
                good pov.

Comment

Like everyones been saying - they do have very very similar designs to every other jdm company - but besides that ive only heard good things about them

Comment

I had a set of Rotas - Mugen MF10 copies, the ones that Cordz was talking about. For 1/4 of the price of the genuine mugens I got the copies.

Back on OEM now and loving them.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by justinfox
                    You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

If you are still curious, read this article on the The Durability Of Rota Wheels.

Comment

Good read, thanks for the post man!

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by justinfox
                        You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

What a read... A good read but meh.
                          If there not 'replicas', there a RAYS/WORK/SSR 'Style' wheels...
                          Does he realise that some of those wheels like the Nismo wheels say Nismo but are made by Enkei just re-badged?
                          SSR SP1 Prof and Work SP1 Prof are different aswell, there not style nor replica of one another, Same with BBS LM and Work VS-XX >.>
                          Similar in design yes, but different.
                          Rota copies the design in full just doesn't add the logo.
                          I refuse to use wheels that are designed by another company which are copies of another (copies, replica, style pick whichever you want)

Support Genuine to keep receiving the goodies they produce.
                          Last edited by MYDC5R; 06-05-12, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I love this discussion about X brand copying Y brand's design etc.

I'll use Watanabes as an example - so popular because of the AE86 and they are regarded as "the original" and ROTA got hammered for making "Watanabe knock-offs".

However, many don't realise that that design existed much earlier...you only need to ask an enthusiast who is in their 60s who will tell you that the Minis and Alfas of the 60s/70s had that design. Tecnomagnesio was one of the early manufacturers, and yes, the rims were magnesium.

Many rims are "knock-offs" - manufacturers pick a safe and popular design and adapt it. Look at Fifteen52's wheels on Ken Block's Fiesta. That design came out ages ago - Speedline had it, as did a number of other manufacturers.

Where I find people have a bone to pick is when they've paid thousands of dollars for a Japanese brand name forged wheel, and can't handle the fact that a look-a-like cast wheel cost a quarter of the price, and only weighs 1kg more.

And don't forget, Japanese brand does not equal Made in Japan. Enkei for one...has contract manufacturers in various parts of Asia. 949...not made in USA.

What I do have an issue with, is the small unknown factory making knock-offs and branding them to deceive the buyer. Nevermind Vork and Yolks (you've got to be an idiot to fall for that!) but counterfeits. That is bad, and of course dangerous because quality is really an unknown.

If you can afford $1000 a wheel, good for you. I'd rather be indifferent if I happen to kerb my wheel, and if I damage it...cheaper to replace than repair.

And another point speaking from experience, I've hit a kerb at speed and the wheel survived. Unfortunately, my suspension arm, CV joint and a bunch of other components didnt. $5000 worth of damage (back in the mid 90s). I'd rather have had the wheel destroy itself and absorb most of the energy than transmit all of that into the suspension.

Comment

could a mod please lock this thread.
                              Shak's S2000

Comment

Locked as requested

Comment

Working...
                                X