Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gearbox rebuilt/reconditioned trade in

Hi guys

does anybody know where i can buy/trade in DC5 a Gearbox.

i'm having issues with 2nd gear poping out and i want to buy a rebuilt box, better still, sell off/trade in my fault box

any place you can recommend to get re rebuild?

2nd gear pops out randomly into Neutral. drives normal otherwise

doesn't seem to follow any pattern.
    regardless if it is underload/bumpy/decel/accell.. same deal

thx for the help in advanced

CHRIS
    Tyrepower North Melbourne
    Christopher Lai | Owner - Operator
    0433 33 90 38 | 03 9329 7333

PM/SMS for a quote | Tyres / Wheels / Alignment

212 Abbotsford St, North Melbourne

--------------------------------
    Honda DC2 | Nissan S15 | BMW Z4M | Honda DC5

Hey Chris, might just be your second gear synchro? If I needed my gearbox reconditioned, I'd take it to Revzone.

Comment

As above I'd just get a trustworthy workshop to remove your gearbox and do any work that needs doing, then you know it is done right and you can control the parts that go back into it. Rather than trading it for a box that could have problems that weren't rectified when it was rebuilt.

Not sure where to find a trustworthy workshop though.

Comment

Originally posted by Symphorced View Post
        Hey Chris, might just be your second gear synchro? If I needed my gearbox reconditioned, I'd take it to Revzone.
        i might give revzone a ca for a quote

i know most mech's get the work out by a 3rd party.

if anybody knows anywhere else i can call give me a call

ChargeR, ur right, ratehr rebuild then swap it
        Tyrepower North Melbourne
        Christopher Lai | Owner - Operator
        0433 33 90 38 | 03 9329 7333

PM/SMS for a quote | Tyres / Wheels / Alignment

212 Abbotsford St, North Melbourne

--------------------------------
        Honda DC2 | Nissan S15 | BMW Z4M | Honda DC5

Comment

If a shop is over sourcing there work out for gearbox rebuild you'll be up for some bills. You can order the part locally even better order from US as there abit cheaper. Minimum your looking at a complete 2nd gear assembly roughly 350-400 (dont quote me on this).

So R & R box then strip box down, strip down counter shaft (where 2nd gear sits) replace complete 2nd gear then reinstall everything. Your looking at anywhere around 1k mark for labour plus whateva parts needed to get change.
          BYP Racing & Developments
          Built. Tuned. Driven
          Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Seems to be a few ppl here with the same problem with k20 6 spd box popping out of 2nd gear.

Assuming the shift linkage cables are secured and within spec, and the gears themselves are not worn/stripped; it's likely either the 2nd gear synchro sleeve is worn where the shift fork slots in or the shift fork ( internal ) is worn. If you read the honda workshop manual they specify the max allowable synchro sleeve groove dimension as well as the minimum thickness for the shift fork. If the the former is too big and/or the latter is too thin; even if you push the gearlever inside the car as far as it would possibly go; the synchro sleeve still isnt slotted in properly in its 'homing' position where it should be and the gear gets deselected either under the torque from the engine from road shock or g forces under braking etc. Try not fully slotting in the gear properly in a gearbox in an otherwise perfect working order would yield the same end result.

While I was given a private tour of a well known racing team ( they race prep and mantain 20 odd DC5,EP3& FD2 group N and A cars at the time ) at the Zuhai International Circuit couple of years ago; they had a crate of K series synchros and sleeves set leftover where they overhaul their racecar boxes annually along with engines. All gearbox rebuilts got full sets of new synchro kits and new bearings from Honda, and new shift forks if required. They keep the best used synchros and sleeves as emergency spares and the rest gets discarded. For them it isnt worth not replacing the full set of synchro/sleeves/springs and bearings when they teardown the gearboxes during the end of season car strip down in preparation for next season of racing in the region. Removing the gearbox isn't a simple or quick task, it would be wise to replace the full set of synchros at least while the box is opened up if you have the budget and intend to keep your car for a long time.

The manager made a comment that the shift forks wear with some drivers where they have a habit of resting their hands on the gearlevers between gearchanges and the sleeve groove and the shift fork wear as a result. Make sense too as they would rub and wear/machine each other at the same rpm as the mainshaft/countershaft rotation.

Pic of crate below:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
            Last edited by EG30; 13-01-12, 11:30 PM.
            Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

Working...
            X