Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why does the Special K better than the Special B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why does the Special K better than the Special B?

I think this quesiton is better asked on club itr than anywhere else..

is there anything in design which makes the AUDM k20 so much better than the bseries? ( and lets not go into ivtec i with direct injection)

all i know so far is the rotational differences..

How come the k series is more repsonsive to mods..?
    especially when u get fully built b series making just slightly more power than an unopened K?

thanks for the help,
    dan

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Newer technology (materials, manufacturing, CAE ect).
    A much more efficient engine. b-series was designed in the 80's.
    first manufactured in 89.
    I believe it is much more responsive to mods because it has to meet tough emissions, especially in europe.
    So in a sense it "de-tuned" from the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by no_torq View Post
      Newer technology (materials, manufacturing, CAE ect).
      A much more efficient engine. b-series was designed in the 80's.
      first manufactured in 89.
      I believe it is much more responsive to mods because it has to meet tough emissions, especially in europe.
      So in a sense it "de-tuned" from the factory.
      cool...
      despite the year of manuafacture... what are the specific physical difference?

is the head design differently with better flow?
      which part of the motor has different materials?

I am trying to looking for specifics...

say i tore down 2 motors.. is there something i would notice that will be much better in the k than the b?

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

Intake port difference

http://www.pbase.com/driftking/image/24936792

A LOT of difference in the porting, both in size and shape

Comment

The K is a bigger engine?
          "No Matter that you have a PhD and have read all of Henry James twice. If you still persist in writing, "Good food at it's best", you deserve to be struck by lightning, hacked up on the spot and buried in an unmarked grave" (Truss, 2003, p.44).

Comment

the actual design/layout of the engine itself is superior.

let me give you some food for thought. One of the most important things which no amount of tinkering will change is the layout of the engine with the k facing the other way to b-series.

When you think about it just makes more sense. Intake at the front Exhaust at the rear. not only is your intake arm pipe going to be most likely shorter your header goes straight out and it doesn't go underneath the oil sump as well.

The block is also alloy, where i think b series is just steel.

In regards to you wanting to know what excatly is better i don't know if anyone short of honda engineers will be able to answer that, i mean they are two different generation engines with two sets of different techniques used to manufacture the engine. Kind of comparing apples to oranges. Compare what can be compared ie weight of the engine, power of engine under similar mods. Those are the sure things you can compare, and if the engine makes more power then it must be more superior?

Comment

This may give you better idea...
              DOHC VTEC
              Honda's VTEC system is a simple method of endowing the engine with multiple camshaft profiles optimized for low and high RPM operations. Instead of one cam lobe actuating each valve, there are two - one optimized for low RPM stability & fuel efficiency, with the other designed to maximize high RPM power output. Switching between the two cam lobes is determined by engine oil pressure, engine temperature, vehicle speed, and engine speed. As engine RPM increases, a locking pin is pushed by oil pressure to bind the high RPM cam follower for operation. From this point on, the valve opens and closes according to the high-speed profile, which opens the valve further and for a longer time. The DOHC VTEC system has high and low RPM cam lobe profiles on both the intake and exhaust valve camshafts.

i-VTEC
              i-VTEC (The i stands for intelligent) introduced continuously variable camshaft phasing on the intake cam of DOHC VTEC engines. The technology first appeared on Honda's K-series four cylinder engine family in 2001 (2002 in the U.S.). Valve lift and duration are still limited to distinct low and high rpm profiles, but the intake camshaft is now capable of advancing between 25 and 50 degrees (depending upon engine configuration) during operation. Phase changes are implemented by a computer controlled, oil driven adjustable cam gear. Phasing is determined by a combination of engine load and rpm, ranging from fully retarded at idle to maximum advance at full throttle and low rpms. The effect is further optimization of torque output, especially at low and midrange RPMs.
              Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
              1)ブレーキを踏む
              2)クラッチを切る
              3)シフトダウンしなから、
                アクセルをぶかす
              4)クラッチをつなぐ
              :blah:
              インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
              人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

K20 is just all round better everything compared to the b-series engines. This is a good thing though, it means honda is still researching and trying to provide us with better stuff.

From the components in the engine to the gearbox there isn't anything that isn't better then it's old school b counter part.

Comment

Also, the K20A is a tad lighter than the B18C, despite being bigger, if I'm not mistaken?

Comment

due to the alloy block. Yup! Hmmmmmmmm i think i have been owned. I have been advised that both b series and k series is alloy only the sump differs
                    Last edited by Jingers; 27-11-06, 02:05 PM.

Comment

http://world.honda.com/news/2006/4060925VTEC/

And this is the next evolution.

The new engine combines continuously variable valve lift and timing control with the continuously variable phase control of VTC (Variable Timing Control).

Comment

Originally posted by Jingers View Post
                        due to the alloy block. Yup! Hmmmmmmmm i think i have been owned. I have been advised that both b series and k series is alloy only the sump differs
                        I think honda went to alloy blocks in the 90's some time.
                        F/S: VTI-R Civic

Comment

yeah but i still feel like my dc2r takes an eternity to warm up in the morning.. much longer than new cars.. but shorter than my dads old 92 LS integra..

Comment

i remember reading a quote on the skunk2 website.
                            u can port the b as much as u want ..
                            but u still wont flow as well as a stock K

now thats impressive =p
                            Farewell TYP88R

Comment

Originally posted by Page View Post
                              I think honda went to alloy blocks in the 90's some time.
                              first VTEC engine was in 1988 or so...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X