Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just imported my car - one or two issues and need a good mechanic in Melbourne?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just imported my car - one or two issues and need a good mechanic in Melbourne?

Hi, I've just imported my JDM DC5R from Ireland and picked it up from Melbourne customs today. The car has largely been in storage since March.

They wankered my bonnet, which I can't close now! Not impressed. But the more pressing issue is when the car's idling it moves up and down between 1 - 2.5k RPMs. I didn't want to vtec it but I suspect there is a lack of power when it's moving. No engine light on.

The oil level is OK but definitely needs a change at this stage. I'm going to open the Airbox and check the hoses for cracks, stoppages etc. Failing that, do you guys have any other recommendations?

I also need to find a good local mechanic. I'm in the northcote area of Melbourne. Any recommendations? Someone who's sees modified cars a lot, preferably!

cleaning the ICAV should fix the rough idle

Comment

Not that I'm accusing you of being silly, but has the ECU had enough time to go through the learning procedure? (8mins or so should do it) Sounds like it has if you've had a chance to drive it, but just thought I'd make sure and ask.

ChargeR usually fixes problems with my car with great ease and I think he would be able to help you out with your seeking idle. He use to only deal in beer-currency but I don't know if he's been accepting that lately because of his fitness regime...
      Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Originally posted by iversonruls View Post
        cleaning the ICAV should fix the rough idle
        Could be it, and mugsee's suggestion is good, try the idle learn procedure first though your neighbours will not like it if you have an aftermarket exhaust:

I can't recommend any decent mechanics in the northern suburbs (I am in Essendon) but for basic stuff like oil changes you may as well do it yourself if you have a flat bit of concrete. I can certainly give you a hand, even this weekend. Mugsee is right though, I no longer accept beer,

Comment

How old is the fuel? Bad or old fuel could cause erratic idle or a vacuum leak around the tb area.

Comment

how'd you pick it up? customs is on strike...

Comment

Thanks for the advice lads. The customs where I was were definitely not on strike ... although they were a customs agent, so I'm not sure if that made a difference.

ChargerR, I'll send you a pm

Comment

A good mechanic in northside, Auto Racing Technik. PM if you need details

Comment

Big thanks to ChargeR for today. Popped out to me and made several trips around the place, looking for various bits n pieces. Cleaned the IACV for me and now she's running smooth again. Gentleman! The world needs more random kindness like this. Owe you big time for that mate. Now to get my car legal for the 27th

Comment

Originally posted by vtecnut View Post
                    Big thanks to ChargeR for today. Popped out to me and made several trips around the place, looking for various bits n pieces. Cleaned the IACV for me and now she's running smooth again. Gentleman! The world needs more random kindness like this. Owe you big time for that mate. Now to get my car legal for the 27th
                    No worries! Good to meet you mate, and I am glad we got it fixed. Best of luck getting the car registered, keep us updated because I am sure someone can give you a lift if it isn't ready in time for the cruise.

Things would have gone more smoothly if someone had mentioned you need a weird five point tor bit to get the solenoid off the IACV!

Comment

Booked in for a RWC and VASS on Friday!

Comment

Originally posted by vtecnut View Post
                        Booked in for a RWC and VASS on Friday!
                        Good news! Hope it all goes smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                          No worries! Good to meet you mate, and I am glad we got it fixed. Best of luck getting the car registered, keep us updated because I am sure someone can give you a lift if it isn't ready in time for the cruise.

Things would have gone more smoothly if someone had mentioned you need a weird five point tor bit to get the solenoid off the IACV!
                          Yeh, just use vice grips or cut a slit in them and use a flat head to remove

Comment

Right, update is I have my VASS. It cost me $1500 they charged me over 1k for labour to install child restraining hooks for kids I don't have! Will have a look at it later to see how they did it but I'm not really impressed.

They didn't do the RWC check because they realised my lights were HIDs ... which brings me to my next question ... does anyone have a loan of non HID highlights I could borrow for a few days .... I'll swap you for my JDMs if you need a deposit?

Comment

Working...
                            X