Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R Kiddracing Header & Catalytic Converter

Hey guys and gals hope we're all doing well

I've ordered a Kiddracing header for my DC5R and expect delivery within the next week/fortnight, the header, as we all know, is a cat-delete and comes with a test pipe. I want to stay legal and run a catalytic converter, however, I have nfi about sizing.
    For those of you out there that have the Kiddracing header on a DC5R, and who are also running catalytic converters, what size cat do I get, 2.5", 3"?
    My current catback is a HKS HiSilent, I'm not sure of the size but I know it was a direct bolt on to the stock catalytic converter.
    Any help regarding this matter would be much appreciated, any links to cheap online cats or suggestions for reliable and hi-flow cats would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help, information and knowledge

Much Love
    Peachy

2.5' should be right
    02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Flow...0#ht_500wt_922

Would something like this fit?

Comment

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Catalytic...ht_2602wt_1139

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAGNAFLOW...#ht_1347wt_905

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Flow...0#ht_500wt_922

Heres a few catback suggestions. Can anyone recommend?

Comment

^ they've all been removed?
          you'll need to weld a flange for the cat

Comment

Thanks hello
            I don't know why they've all been removed.... weird

I found one for sale, 200 cell, $135 delivered and its stainless steel. The size is 12" in length, is this too big/small?
            Last edited by Peachy; 26-09-11, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Installed mine on sunday, Kiddracing headers and 2.5", 100 cell cat. The cat was 11.5", it was trimmed down and fit into the test pipe section. Cut off both ends of the test pipe, which slid inside the cat. Ground off the o2 bung and cut a hole into the end of the test pipe end. Only pic I took, before it got welded up:

Three bits + (the flange at the bottom) on the left were used for the final product. The two bits on the right are the off cuts from the cat.
              Last edited by rps.13; 04-10-11, 10:17 PM.

Comment

looks like you had your work cut out for you rps
                did u end up having to make a new hole for the rear 02 sensor?

Comment

Hey thanks for the info

I ended up buying a 200 cel cat to stay legal, 100 cel cats are illegal in vic
                  Had my kiddracing header installed this morning, the cat i bought had an o2 censor on it which was great, just had to cut the end bits off the cat and it fit up great!

Comment

sounds like it all went straight forward for you then

Comment

Yeah it was very straight forward, I just got really anxious before the install cuz I was like "ohhh noes, will it throw a cel, will the cat fit, will the header clear the front sway bar, will the slip joints leak, will it sound like a piece of shit ricer afterwards, will it hang too low blah blah blah" - but yeah, super straight forward!

Comment

haha thats always goes through your head best of not thinking just do it and see how it goes fix the problems as they arise and of your lucky you wont have any!

Comment

hey mate, i was looking at kidd racing headers could you please point me in the right direction? How was the fitment of the headers? notice much gains after the install?

Comment

Originally posted by FRDK20 View Post
                            hey mate, i was looking at kidd racing headers could you please point me in the right direction? How was the fitment of the headers? notice much gains after the install?
                            Hey buddy would be glad to help. I bought my headers from ebay, here is the link to the headers and the seller, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Acura-RSX...ht_3489wt_1110 - it's pretty expensive at the moment due to the weak aussie buck, I was lucky enough to get it when our buck was still relatively strong.

As far as fitment goes, they clear the front sway bar on a DC5R without any issues at all. The included test pipe that came with the headers were a perfect fit as well.

If you want to run a catalytic converter you will need to buy one and have flanges welded on. My exhaust installer used the flanges off the test pipe and it worked perfectly. If buying a cat, you'll need to either buy one with an o2 censor or have one installed, again, this is a simple job if you're getting it done in the shop. I bought and installed this particular cat as it was cheap and had the o2 censor in: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Catalytic...ht_3000wt_1344 - this is the same seller, I bought it for $135 delivered, you can call him and ask him to send you a paypal receipt for the 2.5" cat.

Once everything was installed there were no other notable install issues, I got a 200 cel cat and didn't get any check engine lights which was great. The o2 censor cable was 'just' long enough to fit, however the installer recommended me getting the o2 censor cable extended.

The headers come in a small box and you will need to assemble it yourself. I'm not very mechanically minded and usually screw things up, but even I could put it together with my limited experience. A lot of people have had problems with fitment, but I had none - I assume this is because the newer models have fixed the issues that the older ones had with shitty fitment.

One thing I noticed today though was that on idle I heard a clicking noise, this only happened after the install. I doubt this had anything to do with the headers themselves but I will have it checked out and will report back. I'm taking the car to a mate tomorrow who was a Honda wrench for 10 years to see what the problem is.

As far as gains go, I definitely felt a notable difference. I haven't had the opportunity to fully test it out, but the car seems to pull harder in 1st - 3rd gears. I can't comment on 4th - 6th as I haven't had the opportunity to test it out yet. Noise wise, whilst driving normally I don't notice much of an audible difference. The only way I can describe the difference in noise would be to say that it sounds like the engine is breathing far better, I can hear the air flow, and it sounds fantastic when WOT.

I'd recommend going with these headers, for the price they are fantastic, the welds are clean and it only took around 10 business days for the headers to arrive. As I said before, the gains are noticeable as well and install is a cinch. If you need recommendations for an installer I can suggest Bros Exhaust in Footscray, they did all the cutting, welding and installing for me at the cheapest price I could find.

Comment

thanks for all the information (Y) really appreciate your help

Comment

Working...
                              X