Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Installation guide for DC5R

Hi all

I tried to search in google and other forums for an Installation Guide/DIY thread to install oil relocator kit + oil cooler.

I would like to know the following

1. I have an existing sandwich plate for my Oil temp and oil press - where do I have to mount it? leave it where it is? or to the relocated oil filter?
    2. Where to mount the oil relocator?
    3. Where to mount the Oil cooler (obviously where it can gather most of the wind when driving)

If someone can help, it will be much appreciated.

BR
    Rclemente
    CLEMENTE

1. not sure

2. where its easy to access

3. where you get a nice feed of cold air. (infront of rad?) or in front of front right wheel?
    teamGROUNDzero.org

shak - est 2004

Comment

Heard bad things about relocating oil filter's.. Can drop pressure or somthing.. Id leave it were it is.. Also mount the oil cooler some were near front bumper were air can rush past.. I no my JDM teg dc2r can have it dont to the left hand side of the riadator.. Near the windscreen sprayer bottle!!!
      sigpic
      128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Take a look at the position of these

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...DIY+oil+cooler

Keep in mind when installing an oil cooler you will be loosing oil pressure, and I believe with the added oil filter relocation your going to lose abit more pressure.

I'm sure Tom (Charger) could back this up by ask you how often you track your car, as he runs the OEM radiator and still has not issues with heating.

Here is another thread on clubitr.com
        You need to search the forum more http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ght=oil+cooler

Some pics

I believe that is a sertab oil cooler. Not sure how many rows.

More pics

Rotrex Oil Cooler

And where you put your oil relocator...Its up to your imagination mate. Depends where you want to bolt it, obviously somewhere its easy access for you. I thought where its located (OEM positioning) isn't that hard to get to anyway.

Norm

Comment

Hi Norm

I checked my engine bay this arvo - and my next question is where to mount the relo.I know I have to use my imagination, but it's hard lol since my engine bay is way to packed.

Thanks for the photos above and the links very helpful - my oil cooler size is exactly the same as the rotrex cooler.

The second issue I have to figure out where to put the sensors of my existing gauges, I was talking to a mate from JDMST might follow his advise.
          CLEMENTE

Comment

Norm is right, I wouldn't put an external air to oil cooler on my car without really thinking it through and I wouldn't relocate the filter even if you paid me to do so. The added complexity, pressure drop and chance of failure is just not worth it to make changing the filter a little easier.

I haven't ever used an oil cooler (roughly 1500-2000 track kms) and the rest of my cooling system is completely OEM. But my car is basically stock in terms of power output, with significant engine modifications comes the need to reject more heat to the cooling system so I can appreciate that additional cooling may be necessary in some situations. Is yours one of these situations? Do you really need to run the car at full load for more than a couple of laps?

Regarding your first question, get a new sandwich plate for the cooler but get one that has ports tapped for your existing sensors. I have seen two sandwich plates stacked and it was ghetto.

Comment

If you guys putting a oil cooler for street duties ill recommend running a thermostat for the oil cooler. Having incorrect oil temps for street will cause premature engine wear.

Hate those relocation kits... saw a Ep3 with one and oil light comes on every now and then on idle :S....
              BYP Racing & Developments
              Built. Tuned. Driven
              Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

I have to agree now - oil relo is not a good idea I've tried it this weekend and everything went limbo- might just install the cooler and leave the relo kit
                CLEMENTE

Comment

Working...
                X