Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC2R Traction Bar?

Gday Fellas,

Wondering if anyone has had any experience in using traction bars for their car?

Just never hear from or see anyone on here using them?
    The way it works makes a lot of sense and would like to know why not many ppl use them?
    cheers

Mainly used racing in a straight line?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinfox
    You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

really? i read up on a few n apparently they increase cornering speeds?

Comment

I read it helps keep traction on high powered FWD vehicles mainly in a straight line
        . I could be wrong. Got any links?

Quote:
        Originally Posted by justinfox
        You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Wow that's interesting I might need something like this in the future.

Comment

Use is to maintain sussy geometry associated with harsh acceleration off the line, side affects are wheel shake or wheel bunny hopping. Traction bars eliminate this or defiantly help. Mainly used for drag purposes, but know some guys use them on the track too.

Traction bar benifits are under harsh accleration. The stock arms and bushes flex under forward and backward movement, ie under acceleration the tires want to move forward before the rest of the car. This is what causes your hop or unsettleness. The traction bar locks in this movement.

Best to invest in a quality brand. Cheaper brands will cause havoc with your natural sussy movement and cause binding.

EDIT:
            More info on Ozhonda. Thread here:
            http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...Tractions-bars
            Last edited by DLO01; 09-07-11, 09:15 PM.
            Deano.

Comment

Traction bars on an EG/DC2/EK are a poor idea because it forces the front LCA forward as the suspension droops and compresses creating binding in the existing bushings. It is effectively forcing the LCA to pivot off the axis that it would naturally like to pivot. Probably okay for drag racing but poor for anything else. A better idea is to just replace the lower control arm bushings with spherical bearings, which will a similar effect without the compromise of a traction bar.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                Traction bars on an EG/DC2/EK are a poor idea because it forces the front LCA forward as the suspension droops and compresses creating binding in the existing bushings. It is effectively forcing the LCA to pivot off the axis that it would naturally like to pivot. Probably okay for drag racing but poor for anything else. A better idea is to just replace the lower control arm bushings with spherical bearings, which will a similar effect without the compromise of a traction bar.
                oh my god, I need moving gifs to explain what you just said. I'm too stupid

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the info guys! I was never really that keen on them.. They look heavy n chunky n add too much weight and also look like they'd scrape HEAPS during a daily drive.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                    +1.

BYP EG doesn't run one. Just replace the old worn out bushing for either fresh rubber ones, if your more hardrace go for the PCI bronze bushing.

If anyone needs a set or whats to know more about the PCI bronze bushing pm me. I have installed a set on the BYP EG. Added bonus it gives more castor
                    BYP Racing & Developments
                    Built. Tuned. Driven
                    Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

yee bro send me a PM im interested.... cheers

Comment

just thinking tho metal on metal bushings isnt that gonna create a lot of wear?
                        im sure the benefits are excellent, but being such a stiff bushing, i can see wear being an issue plus instead of rubber or synthetic bushings which bending and then returning back to shape a solid bush wont flex at all hence putting strain on other suspension components? correct me if im wrong?

Comment

you are not wrong.
                          ... retired/

Comment

+1 for a thread with actually educated discussion. Lovely banter.

examples of a product:

BLOX say:

The BLOX Racing Competition Series Traction Bar Kit is designed to increase the rigidity and stability of the vehicle’s front suspension. By tying-in the front lower control arms to the frame, the front suspension becomes more solid thus increasing traction and eliminating wheel-hop. For front wheel drive drag racers and road racers, this directly results in reduced 60-ft times and cornering speeds.

The BLOX Racing Competition Traction Bar is powder-coated for durability and corrosion resistance, while the AL6061 radius arms are anodized. Each kit is a direct bolt-on installation and can be performed with basic skills and tools.

http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewP...idcategory=611

example of one fitted:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It looks like it would provide positive traction on power down by limiting suspension travel? But wouldn't this add unsprung mass to the suspension in a way?

It definitely looks hindering for LCA axis rotation though, could be solved with freely moving ball joint on the bar mounted on the front bumper maybe? I think Blox bar has ball joints (check link)

nice topic william, see ya tomorrow broski!
                            Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

I have a full race one for my ek. Yet to give it a try though
                              teamGROUNDzero.org

shak - est 2004

Comment

Working...
                              X