Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearbox issues on cold start

Hi all,

Hoping someone here has experienced a similar problem and/or throw up advice regarding a solution. Car in question is a DC5R with 80000ks on it, FN2R clutch + JDM Flywheel + 3000km old MTF06.

On cold starts, I can sometimes hear the starter motor not meshing well with the flywheel. Sounds like rattly tooth meshing. Considering whether this is related to the starter or the fact that I'm using a JDM flywheel?

Also, on cold starts, if I try engage reverse from neutral, whilst fully clutched it, it will sometimes crunch. If I return to neutral, clutch out and back in, then re-engage reverse, it will work but I find that sometimes reverse will get stuck and I won't be able to get it out of gear.

Also, should first-->second gear shift feel quite notchy on the DC5R? Furthermore, third-->second downshift, especially at high revs seems very notchy and it takes a lot of wrist work.

I plan to use another gearbox fluid (friend suggested Redline) and perhaps bleed the clutch? No signs of any fluids around the clutch master or slave cylinders.

Help me out guys!
    Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
    Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
    Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Mine does the same with reverse when cold, need to double pump the clutch to get it engaged, second gear sometimes will "pop" in but not engage and grind until i release it. After 5 mins of driving though it goes back to normal, i find first to second to be the notchiest with the other gears being silky smooth.

Not sure if its flywheel related as im using JDM also but something to consider is the standard CMC, i have heard of people having great success swapping over to the Civic SI CMC which supposedly has a larger piston, they claim it gets rid of those grinding changes as more fluid is being pushed every time you clutch in. They are also a lot stronger....

Comment

make sure the starter motor is installed properly.

it should not be loose.
      ... retired/

Comment

Working...
      X