Gear Ratio For the Everyday "Street Racer"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sangers View Post
    effect of clutch and flywheel on ability to reach top speed?

---------

first up, maybe correct any of my incorrect pre-conceptions...

1. the speedo indicates the speed of your car given your stock configuration of tyre side and gear ratios.

2. if you change your wheel/tyre size and/or your gear ratio by replacing such things as your final drive or your lsd, then your true speed is no longer the same as your indicated speed.

3. u can use this spreadsheet to tabulate your indicated speed against your approx true speed.

-----------------------

ok, so does your clutch and flywheel affect any of this like final drive and lsd would?

no.

secondly, what do you mean by your ability to reach your top speed. your true top speed or your indicated top speed.

better power = better ability to overcome drag, come-on sang, you are an aero engineer (but in the specific case of a lighter flywheel, it may reduce top speed as it has less inertia...)

because you would never be able to reach your indicate top speed if you increased your gear ratio with a final drive or lsd, right?
    not sure what your asking here...
    ... retired/

Comment

correct me if im wrong but clutch and flywheel does not affect your power, only acceleration.

and sorry i misunderstood you. i assumed you meant it affected your ability in the sense that it hindered your ability to reach your top speed rather than supported it.

guess i dont understand about gearboxes, clutches and flywheels enough to understand how a lightened wheel reduced inertia and hence top speed.
      almost JDM spec, y0!

Comment

sorry, i was using a more liberal meanign of "power" than you might bne used to ...

you are technically correct regarding clutch and flywheel...
        ... retired/

Comment

when i stated: "better power"

the full term i should have used is: "better ability to take advantage of existing power"
          ... retired/

Comment

Fixed up Inaccuracies in my s2000 page and included a seperate tyre Calculation for the 2 different s2000
            Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
            some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
            Originally posted by tinkerbell
            if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
            A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
            Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

just adding a few small fixes...
              Memorable quotes

Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

thanks man
                ... retired/

Comment

i updated the TYpe R ATS final Drive to get the 5.077 and the 4.992 which was previously both the same number..

also you should be able to edit the final drives for yourself i believe..
                  Memorable quotes

Comment

added in the Torque increase when compared to 2 gearboxes! not just Final drive i tried to do comparisons for each gear as well.

this is all implemented into the Custom Gearbox section (please test and see if it gets correct values.)

neway ill leave it for now i forgot to upload it last night so ill chuck it up today
                    Memorable quotes

Comment

Working...
                    X