No announcement yet.

What I found today while doing some DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was suggesting that with the thermostat remaining open, it would take a lot longer for the car to warm up. Obviously, stuffing around with the thermostat like that is not a good thing, but whether it is harmful to the car depends on how the owner treats it.

Nonetheless, I would swap that thermostat quick smart.
    Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
    Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
    Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Comment

When these thermostats fail they usually stay open rather than stay shut.... So I'd still be wondering where that has come from?
      | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

well, my initial thoughts were: 'ghetto low-temp thermostat' attempt (like DCZ 18C mentioned)

there is virtually no way that bolt could be in the cooling system by accident...
        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
          well, my initial thoughts were: 'ghetto low-temp thermostat' attempt (like DCZ 18C mentioned)

there is virtually no way that bolt could be in the cooling system by accident...
          It's just weird as shit... I'd hate to see the results if it managed to make it to the water pump!
          | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

yes - which is exactly why it might not be there by accident - it may have been intentionally inserted from the side opposite to the water pump.

and could have only come from the bottom tank of the radiator...
            ... retired/

Comment

Well either or, its gone IN THE BIN and a shiney new mugen low temp replaced it... no issues as of yet although car warm up time has beeen DRAMATICALLY improved! and naa definately neeever ever "thrashed" my car cold, thats crazy! all runnin smooooth

Comment

would have to have been done on purpose.. bet you got a big shock

btw, i know someone who likes to floor and practically red line his E46 CS M3 from _cold_.. sounds awesome and painful at the same time when he does it

Comment

hmm wonder who you could be refering to? hehe
                  "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

my car did not went over 68C (reading via pfc) in winter when the thermostat failed. i wonder how yours could go to operating temp with this. lol

Comment

Working...
                    X