Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R - Removing PS & AC

Hey guys

As some of you are aware I have purchased a K24, and I'll be installing this along with some friends shortly.

I have been seriously thinking about removing both power steering and Air Con, as the car is used for weekend use only, and as all Honda owners know, every extra KW & KG helps!

I have found a K-Series PS & AC delete kit on Karcepts which also relocates the alternator. This includes all the bits and pieces needed, so I’m thinking actually removing it should be fairly basic.

I'm not overly concerned about the AC (As I don't use it that often to start with), but the power steering, has anyone removed it? What were your thoughts? As the steering rake is built to have PS, is there anything I should be concerned about? Anything else I should research or know about?

Thanks in advance

Robi

Temptazn_mark from ClubRSX (one of the guys heavily into tracking) ran without PS and hated it, he looks like a bit of a weakling though. A couple of the other guys liked it though: LINK Would you consider going to an electro-hydraulic solution: LINK.

Or you could go to an EPS system from the EP3. There is a thread about that on ClubRSX somewhere too, will reduce parasitic drag on the motor, clean up the engine bay but also provide assist when you need it for parking etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
      Temptazn_mark from ClubRSX (one of the guys heavily into tracking) ran without PS and hated it, he looks like a bit of a weakling though. A couple of the other guys liked it though: LINK Would you consider going to an electro-hydraulic solution: LINK.

Or you could go to an EPS system from the EP3. There is a thread about that on ClubRSX somewhere too, will reduce parasitic drag on the motor, clean up the engine bay but also provide assist when you need it for parking etc.
      I have read about the EP3 EPS system from the EP3 (Mostly to do with the US spec Civic SI). I would consider it an option, but it would be something I would do further down the track (As I want the K24 in soon!)

I'll have a look into the EPS and see if there are any extra bits and peices I'll need.

Thanks for the links though, they have been quite helpful.

Comment

There was a guy on the EP3 thread who just had his power steering disabled due to some wiring fault I think and he didn't really seem to like it much.

Comment

Originally posted by M@lew View Post
          There was a guy on the EP3 thread who just had his power steering disabled due to some wiring fault I think and he didn't really seem to like it much.
          EP3 use an electronic power steering, so it would be a little different to the DC5 system.

Reading the threads "guy" posted up, it's not a mater of just removing the power steering pump, pulley or fuse, you actually need to remove the entire system, then make up some type of breather system, as you need to keep some form of oil in the actual steering rack, and it needs to move around.

I'll research both the EPS, and breather systems a little more.

EPS looks like it would be easier, but the breather system looks a fair bit cheaper.

Comment

hope it doesnt fuck the steering feel, man i loved that about my dc5.

Comment

I would keep P/S. A/C personal choice i guess.
              BYP Racing & Developments
              Built. Tuned. Driven
              Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

If your going to take off a/c, put a rotrex charger on it
                BYP Racing & Developments
                Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
                STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Thanks for the input guys

Benson: I like your train of thought...

Comment

Working...
                  X