DC5R knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R knocking

Hey guys, i replaced my stock suspension with brand new BC BR coilovers and afew months after (now) drivers side is making a really loud knocking sound i had my coils looked at and they reckon its perfectly fine no leaks or anything. Sometimes the knock would go away for a day or two then it would just come back.

The place where i got my coilovers from believe it could be my driveshaft? but it knocks when i go over ANY bumps even on the freeway it would still knock but not as bad as other road surfaces.

The knocking can be heard from the outside of the car aswell and inside the car it's loud dunno if it's because of my aftermarket engine mounts (innovative 60A)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I had a knocking sound happen a few days ago, if its the same problem i had.

Its the top bolt on the top of the driver side coilover right underneath the adjuster... well mine was and caused a whole bunch of knocking.
    it might be loose

You can test by pushing down on the front of the car several times really hard on the drivers side "i mean really hard" see if theres any knocking noise.

If it is then

Its the single top bolt on the top of the driver side coilover right underneath the adjuster, just tighten it & your good to go

Hope this helps

Comment

I'll give that a go on my time off, thanks for the input

Comment

Jacked up the car yesterday and took off the wheel and had a look for any loose screws and there wasn't any :S coils arent leaking or something everything looks fine. Sprayed some WD40 in some rubber spots to see if it helps but thats a negative!! thinking its something that is connected to the coils which could really be my drifeshaft

Comment

Drive shafts yes. try turning the wheel from left to right when ur standing next to the wheel. Also could it be your bushings in your LCA that are worn out?

Comment

Does it do it at high speed or low speed? Low speed bumps tend to make a more "squish" sound with the coilover doing its job.

Comment

Do the coilovers have adjustable pillow mounts?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheeszy View Post
                I had a knocking sound happen a few days ago, if its the same problem i had.

Its the top bolt on the top of the driver side coilover right underneath the adjuster... well mine was and caused a whole bunch of knocking.
                it might be loose

You can test by pushing down on the front of the car several times really hard on the drivers side "i mean really hard" see if theres any knocking noise.

If it is then

Its the single top bolt on the top of the driver side coilover right underneath the adjuster, just tighten it & your good to go

Hope this helps
                Funny this thread came up, because I had the exact same problem just last week (I also running BC BR on DC5R). At first I thought it was driver side engine mount, checked out ok. Then I also thought there may be a leak somewhere on the coilover, also checked out ok with no leak.

I knew for sure something was loose because whenever I went over a speed bump or just driving on rough/bumpy roads I could hear the knocking sound. It got louder as whatever was loose become more so. It honestly felt like the coilover was actually jumping up and down and would fall off or something

So like Cheeszy, eventually found out that the bolt ring thingy (lol whatever it's called) just underneath the soft/hard damper knob was loose. Just tighten that and you're good (if the knocking sound is indeed coming from you coilover that is)
                Last edited by iVTEC_R; 01-06-11, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Yeah sounds like the iVTEC_R described it, sounds like something is loose but cant find it. where is this bolt ring thing could someone please show me a photo

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                    Drive shafts yes. try turning the wheel from left to right when ur standing next to the wheel. Also could it be your bushings in your LCA that are worn out?
                    When i turn the wheel left to right it seems to be ok no problem or sounds. It happens on both low and high speed pretty sure it depends how bumpy the road is.

cheers for the help

Comment

Originally posted by 45SET View Post
                      Do the coilovers have adjustable pillow mounts?
                      Hmmmm im not to sure about that tried doing some research on them but couldn't find an answer but if anyone knows if have "BC Racing Coilovers BR series" have adjustable pillow mounts would be very useful.

Comment

call me tonight and bring your ride to my house. i'll have a look huy!
                        i am only free after 11 though - or tomorrow morning.
                        - Project R -

Comment

thanks rudi!! ill msg you later

Comment

dont know if this will help but i believe i had a similar noise to u mate.. disappeared after i installed akom tie rod ends.. running BC rsd's but now got random noise squeaky noise from back ones(not sure what side)
                            FOR SALE 2005 DC5 TYPE S with 156k km's log books $11.3k

Comment

Going by this page, they have an adjustable pillow mount design so you can adjust camber.

My guess is that it would be the pillow mount that is making the noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X