Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC5 Leaking oil - Front left Brake Rotor Area - Help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5 Leaking oil - Front left Brake Rotor Area - Help please!

Hey guys, this morning on the way to work i noticed under braking the car was pulling to the left a little bit, when i arrived i found oil leaking through the hub and rotor and some leakage onto the wheels on the front right as shown in the pictures below.

Can anyone identify where this oil is coming from, its a brown colour.....

Help would be greatly appreciated

Have you had a look at your left brake line?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zakarados View Post
      Have you had a look at your left brake line?
      you mean right line?? There's only leaking on the right, the car pulling to the left would suggest the right side is not slowing down as fast i assumed?

I have yet to have a look yet as i'm in the office but i will take the wheel off tonite. I though there's a good chance that this might also be a leaking CV boot because i heard that the oil from here is a deep brown as well?

Comment

Just shooting ideas, but might be best to check all fluids reservoirs in the engine bay to see which has gone down.
        sigpic

Comment

im leaning towards the cv boot/joint. please drive safe yo
          bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

Coils leaking?

Comment

the oil isnt brown - that is the rust...

it could be water?

do you have centre caps?

do you park outside in the rain recently?

step 1 is obviously to remove the wheel...
              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by jj17 View Post
                im leaning towards the cv boot/joint. please drive safe yo

Originally posted by M@lew View Post
                Coils leaking?
                I would cry if this was true

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                the oil isnt brown - that is the rust...

it could be water?

do you have centre caps?

do you park outside in the rain recently?

step 1 is obviously to remove the wheel...

Hey Tinks, beat me to it mate Top One had to use WD-40 during the bushing/bearing install yesterday so they said its just rust sludge. I don't have centrecaps for the wheels unfortunately (RPF1 caps are ugly as fork)

Comment

So Top One did work on the wheel area yesterday and now it's pulling? You know where to start then don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
                    So Top One did work on the wheel area yesterday and now it's pulling? You know where to start then don't you?
                    Top One did the work but Heasmans did the alignment. I noticed that the front Damper camber screws in the top mount were not in the same place which means he used the strut bolt to adjust camber on on side further than the other. I believe that this might be causing the car to pull left because of the different rate of toe change under compression between the two.

I don't know why the guy did this at Heasman's, it doesn't worry me too much at this stage because i will be back there soon for another alignment when i install some Todd's modified tie end rods so i will ensure it is done properly then (mine are maxed out at 3 degrees of camber).

Comment

cars are supposed to pull left IIRC?
                      ... retired/

Comment

no its stays straight under normal driving but pulls left when i brake hard, thats why i think the toe change under compression in the front during braking is the culprit?

Comment

Took the wheel off and saw there was no leaks from brake lines/CV boots or the damper etc so i guess it was just the lubricant seeping out from the work done to it the day before luckily, didn't need any more bad luck from the previous day thats for sure!

Thanks everyone for the help have a good weekend guys

Comment

Sometimes to also differentiate whats leaking oil is the type of oil too. I know you've found out what it is, but for future references and other people, coil oils are more like kitchen oil fumes on a wall, where as CV joint leaks are more of a grease viscosity.

Comment

Working...
                            X