Changing FD and maybe other parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing FD and maybe other parts?

When changing my FD, was wondering whether its vital to also change the components such as differential bearings and ring gear bolts? Link here Or can I re-use the OEM components?

Norm

i recall reading that diff bearings are not reusable, generally most people buy new diff bearings and seals when changing the LSD out but im not sure if this applies to the FD...

I will need to find this out as well when i install my new LSD in the next few weeks

Comment

should never reuse diff bearings once its been pressed on!

ring gear bolts are fine, but if yours is quite high millage already, then its a cheap investment for extra peace of mind. Me personally have never changed them even with the gazillion times I've had to change out the diff.

Comment

Ok. I'll take your advice!...for someone who has changed their diff so many times i think your advice is very valuable :P

Comment

Diff bearings are cheap - $50~$60 so cheap insurance - but really only needed if you're changing the diff itself - unless of course when you open it up and you realise the bearings are boched...
          MFactory Performance Products

Follow my journey to Superlap at: http://nextstopsuperlap.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

to clarify, I meant if you have removed the bearings from a used diff, you shouldn't be re-using them. If you're just changing final drive, it's fine to leave them alone, but at the very least give them a little test for any noticeable play.

Comment

Ok. I've ordered the whole set anyway. Just incase i change my mind and decide on a change in LSD as well. So we'll see how it all goes eh? So exciting right now, final drive, flywheel, clutch hmhmh i wonder how the car will perform after that.

Comment

Does anyone know the cost of roughly to change the final drive??...is $700-$750 alone too much just final drive change??...

Comment

when you are changing the final drive you have to disassemble the countershaft and move all the gears unto the new one that matches the new final drive. It is essentially a gearbox rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                  X