X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM HID's replacement bulb vs complete HID kits

is there a big difference?..

Yes there is a major difference.

Go on ebay and search for a pair of Phillips 85122+ bulbs, and use those in your car.

change both bulbs otherwise they will be discoloured.

The 85122+ is a little resistant to blueing too quickly and provides the brightest light output.
    /Oo ___H___ oO\
    |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

I bought my bulbs off this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-O...item35a7d40074

If you need an oem 2nd hand bulb, I have one out of a S2000 that will light up and look the same as oem. It is a Phillips 85122.

you can have it for 30 bucks.
      /Oo ___H___ oO\
      |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

get the hid kit inc ballast //
        Integra Type R
        Integra Type S
        S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
          get the hid kit inc ballast //
          If he is running a oem hid bulb in an oem hid projector then a hid kit will not easily fit his car.

He would have to modify the bulb.
          /Oo ___H___ oO\
          |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Originally posted by kavehman View Post
            If he is running a oem hid bulb in an oem hid projector then a hid kit will not easily fit his car.

He would have to modify the bulb.
            o.0 how come?

he can just get a d2s/r kit?

Comment

No he can't if he has a JDM headlight or a S2k for example. You cannot just take the bulb out of a hid kit and plug it straight into the headlight.

The base of the bulb needs to be modified for it to fit.

For the cost of a kit you can get oem Phillips bulbs and oem ballasts which will last longer and be much better quality.

Like the rest of the cheap chinese crap out there it may look ok but it won't be engineered the same.
              /Oo ___H___ oO\
              |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

weird, i have JDM DC5R headlights and have a plug and play Kaixen Kit with new ballasts and 8500k Bulbs.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but DC5R jdm doesn't use a projector does it ? It would be different in that case.

This is what the oem bulb looks like.

/Oo ___H___ oO\
                  |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

a plug and play D2R/S (D2C) kit bulb looks exactly the same, but you are right, the JDM DC5R headlights are reflectors, not projectors, though they do come with HID's.

AFAIK regardless of the nature of the headlights (reflector, projector), the bulbs have the same base and attachment configuration (cant comment on the nature of the actual bulb)

naturally with HID kits you can get bulbs for hb4, h1, h7, etc etc.

You can also get HID kits with bulb sizes D2C (which replaces D2S/D2R), which is what you have pictured there (s2k is D2S i believe)

as per any HID kit or bulb, as long as you get the bulb that fits your car you wont have any problems.

edit - distinction between D2C and D2R/S
                    Last edited by bungsai; 12-05-10, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bungsai View Post
                      AFAIK regardless of the nature of the headlights (reflector, projector), the bulbs have the same base and attachment configuration (cant comment on the nature of the actual bulb)
                      This point is wrong, the base is different. The notches on the base line up differently.

So the bulb in your headlight will not fit a S2k, don't believe me. Give it a try.

I did heaps of research when I did my S2K retrofit, so did Cambo so maybe he can chime in.

all this info is available on the forum section of hidplanet.com
                      /Oo ___H___ oO\
                      |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Originally posted by kavehman View Post
                        This point is wrong, the base is different. The notches on the base line up differently.

So the bulb in your headlight will not fit a S2k, don't believe me. Give it a try.

I did heaps of research when I did my S2K retrofit, so did Cambo so maybe he can chime in.

all this info is available on the forum section of hidplanet.com
                        seems i stand corrected

afaik, there are 3 types of HID bulb, D2S, D2R and D2C.

D2C is the aftermarket bulb which is made to fit either D2S or D2R sockets.

I can't comment any further, other than saying, if you have JDM DC5R headlights, then any aftermarket D2C kit will fit fine.
                        Last edited by bungsai; 12-05-10, 01:56 PM.

Comment

hey were just trying to help someone buy the right parts
                          /Oo ___H___ oO\
                          |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

i have a dc5s.. doesnt it have a oem hid bulb n projector (which is a 4500K i think)...

Comment

My question would be - why do you need new ballasts?

If you don't, just buy a Philips or Osram OEM quality HID bulb that suits your application ... as Kaveh said, preferable to replace both at the same time so the colours match.
                              | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Working...
                              X