Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi-Flow Cat Dead? Where to buy?

Hey all,

I think my hi-flow cat is dead. On cold starts, my car makes a loud rattling sound that seems its coming from the cat. Have you guys experienced this and can anyone confirm if it is a dead cat? It seems to disappear when car gets warm and I drive, but still rattles hear and then on lower revs.

I'm sure the cat is a custom metal hi-flow cat from the exhaust shop I got my header and zorst installed (forgot the name of the workshop but they are where JDM Yard used to be... if anyone can help me out with the name?).

The cat didn't seem to last that long, maybe 2 years or 3 at most... This doesn't seem very long? Aren't they meant to last longer?

Anyway, anyone know where I can get a good hi-flow cat for a good price. I want bang for bucks. Looking at brand new.

I'm aware of Metal Cat... on their website its advertised to be sold at Repco? Are they any good and reliable?

Thanks for the help.

i always get my cats from SMSP in the USA...

i am getting a 3in 200 cell one for $210 with two flanges... like next week...
    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by rayDC2R View Post
      The cat didn't seem to last that long, maybe 2 years or 3 at most... This doesn't seem very long? Aren't they meant to last longer?
      i got a cheapy 2.5in high flow cat for my JDM 4-1's about 4 years ago and it is still running perfect.

BUT - i have nearly always had an aftermarket ECU that has been dyno tuned - ensuring that the AF ratios were appropriate.

by keeping it lean under WOT or at stoich at non-WOT, the cat has a better chance of surviving...
      ... retired/

Comment

so dave, you think my car running too rich is the cause of it dying so "soon"?
        and have u ordered the cat yet or ordering next week? save on multi-buy with post?

also i'm not knowledgeable with cats... i've got toda header with 2.5" collector... so i need a 2.5" cat? are all cats the same length? and do i need 2 flanges with it so it will bolt together with my exhaust?

Comment

maybe... running rich can damage cats, so can too lean...

but also can be due to hitting speed hump, or bad manufacturing...

they shipped mine last friday...

most if not all aftermarket cats will require custom welding to fit to your exhaust...

also - you sure it is the cat?coudl eb anything, lol!

you need to check,

easy to check by tapping the cat when it is cold, and listening...

then to confirm, unbolt the exhaust and have a look with a torch inside...

ALL WHILST ON A PROPER HOIST OR A CAR SUPPORTED BY JACKSTANDS
          ... retired/

Comment

some cat info here: http://www.team-integra.net/sections...p?ArticleID=24
            ... retired/

Comment

I'm 99% sure its the cat coz I've read up on similar issues and I have the symptoms, and when I listen to the source of the rattling, it definitely sounds like its coming from the cat.

Dave, I went to the SMSP website and found this:

2-1/4", 2-1/2" or 3" 200 cell spun (4,250 lb rating) Universal Cat 120.00

Is that the one I need? I tried emailing them and no reply. How the heck do I place an order? And where are the 2 flanges I need? Thanks for the help.

Oh one more thing... do I need a new donut flange as well if I change to a new cat?

Comment

whoah, when i go there i get the "this site is under construction" message?

but yeah, email Dave at SMSP Tech [smsptech @ cox.net]

and tell him your situation... he might be able to assist with advice.

he is a bit short on words though...

but basically you need a 2 hole flange and a 3 hole flange for each side of a 2.5in universal cat...
                ... retired/

Comment

What you guys think about a Xforce cat?

Comment

i heard magnaflow is pretty good

Comment

I got one off ebay, $180 3" magnaflow 200cell ceramic, it was good, made a huge differance. it was on a 200sx though :-)
                      HONDA TYPE R and custom STICKERS

I DO ALL CAR MAKES AND MODELS

email me for details and prices- mac1600@speedweb.com.au
                      All enquiries welcome i make any sticker you want

Comment

Originally posted by rayDC2R View Post
                        What you guys think about a Xforce cat?
                        mate had a xforce one, a year went by and it was all burnt out
                        i wouldnt get one pesonaly
                        Last edited by drifta1600; 15-04-10, 07:23 AM.
                        HONDA TYPE R and custom STICKERS

I DO ALL CAR MAKES AND MODELS

email me for details and prices- mac1600@speedweb.com.au
                        All enquiries welcome i make any sticker you want

Comment

Working...
                        X