Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head unit choice (Pioneer DEH-P7100BT Vs Eclipse CD5030)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head unit choice (Pioneer DEH-P7100BT Vs Eclipse CD5030)

I am stuck choosing between these two head units.
    I primarily want a head unit with a USB port as the DC2R's suspension makes CDs skip too often and I hate having to switch CDs

But i would prefer to have music play as WAVs off the USB not just MP3s. I know MP3 320kbps is pretty good, but its not ideal.

I like the idea of auto-EQ and time alignment of the Eclipse.. but it cant play WAVs off the USB like the Pioneer can..

The prices off Ebay in the US are pretty close... and both are pretty nice looking units... neither has 24bit DAC but both have good SQ reputations. The Eclipse has preset buttons for switching stations which the Pioneer doesnt

http://www.eclipse-web.com.au/site/p...e-3e5906103f0c

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...-P7100BT?tab=B

I am leaning towards the Pioneer because of brand reputation and its abilit to play WAV files... not sure auto-EQ and time alignment are much good as i have never used them before and dont know how much of a difference they can make..
    Attached Files

might spend some time listening to 320kbps MP3s on my headphones comparing them to WAVs to see if i can hear the difference.. i can def hear the difference between 128 and 320 though...

Comment

Decently encoded 320kbps MP3 is perfectly fine in Car Audio applications, especially in a car with the level of background noise that an ITR has.
      | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

that reminds me to get the latest version of lame

yeah i was thinking about road and engine noise in our cars while driving home from the gym tonight.. going to make sure the Eclipse does the BT stuff as well as the Pioneer..

I'm excited about receiving a pair of Hertz HCX165s tomorrow... going to have to do some wood work to make spacers for them.

Comment

ripped a few cds last night and compared WAV to 320kbps mp3 on my USB DAC+HD600s.. could not tell the difference really..

but did some more searching now and seems eclipse is pulling out of the aftermarker HU market.. (in the US at least, not sure about oz) so warranty etc would be an issue..

Comment

Eclipse CD5030 is much better then the Pioneer. I sell and have used both.

Hope this helps.

Comment

your 1 day too late.. already ordered the Pioneer

When Pioneer release a board along the lines of the 880PRS but WITH usb then i'll sell the 710BT i ordered yesterday..

Comment

Originally posted by AUDM DC5R View Post
                Eclipse CD5030 is much better then the Pioneer. I sell and have used both.

Hope this helps.
                May i ask why that would be?

Comment

so what is the normal way of installing a new head unit.. i need some sort of honda to pioneer harness for the cabling or am i going to have to but some adapter and figure the cabling myself? (ie what cable connects to what port on the HU)

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
                    so what is the normal way of installing a new head unit.. i need some sort of honda to pioneer harness for the cabling or am i going to have to but some adapter and figure the cabling myself? (ie what cable connects to what port on the HU)
                    I don't mean to come across as rude but if you are asking those kinds of questions, I suggest that you send it into a professional installer.

Comment

The installation manual has lots of details on what needs to be connected to what on the pioneer.. but the problem is figuring out what cable is connected to what on the existing HU in the car.. i have not had a peek at the service manual i have on my other computer to see if that has the details.

The point of forums like this is for people to learn to DIY from the experience of others.. i learnt how to change my brake pads and install my mugen intake with help from this forum.. i'll bleed my brake fluid one day too.. and i intend to change my HU without paying someone $150 to do it for me.

So i would appreciate any help/suggestions i can get..

Comment

hope this helps:
                        http://www.fixya.com/support/t144851...ntegra_factory
                        http://www.modifiedlife.com/stereo-r...acura-integra/

Comment

cheers, i'll check that against my service manual..

will i need one of these too?
                          http://www.ryda.com.au/Aerpro-Honda-...p/fp997898.htm

also, is the DC2R stereo connector like this?
                          http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HONDA-CAR-RAD...ht_2369wt_1002

or the older one like this?
                          http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UNIVESAL-Hond...b#ht_945wt_754

Comment

all connected up no probs... waiting on the din facia mount kit to come so i can mount it.. playing a-ok sitting on my hand

it was not that hard, just had to do custom wire connections as the pioneed to iso harness didnt fit the HU... neither pio type connector fit.. so had to cut and solder the harness the HU came with to the honda harness i got from the shop

probably cos the HU is a usdm model not an aussie model

btw, stock HU and pioneer 710BT both weigh 1.6kg

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
                              all connected up no probs... waiting on the din facia mount kit to come so i can mount it.. playing a-ok sitting on my hand

it was not that hard, just had to do custom wire connections as the pioneed to iso harness didnt fit the HU... neither pio type connector fit.. so had to cut and solder the harness the HU came with to the honda harness i got from the shop

probably cos the HU is a usdm model not an aussie model

btw, stock HU and pioneer 710BT both weigh 1.6kg
                              Good job

Comment

Working...
                              X