X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction + Irritating Tapping Sound

Hi All,

Introduction

I recently bought a 2006 DC5S after a 5 year hiatus from Hondas and joined this forum on recommendation of a friend. My car isn't much modded atm, only King Springs (which came with the car) and a set of HIDs.

Future plans this year probably include I/H/E mods only. Next year I'll probably start doing the suspension with the bolt on bars first and coilovers later.

Later on I'd probably look at some mild cams and a valvetrain upgrade + ECU.

Anyway enough dreaming - back to more mundane matters.

Problem

As mentioned my car has King Springs (i think they're lows not superlows) and the ride is crashy. Everytime i go over a bump (say tram tracks) this really irritating "tick" noise originates from underneath the dash...

I've isolated the noise to be coming from behind/above the speedo cluster.

Just wanted to ask:

1. Anyone have experience fixing these?
    2. Is it typical for DC5s with hard suspension?
    3. Any "common" culprits people have identified over the years? (for instance the imported s15 had a problem with the roof lining glue melting in the aussie sun, hence the interior noise from the roof lining flapping about)

Thanks in advance.

when you find it let me know hey, i too have a ticking noise and i reckon its coming from the cluster area as well,
    stiff sussy + shit roads=annoying fcking noises
    02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

does this ticking noise happen at cruising?

lol because my Type S has it as well ^_^.. and it aint modded..

and HI again!

lol

someone informed me you had purchased yourself a type S.
      Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
      some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
      Originally posted by tinkerbell
      if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
      A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
      Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

Yes it happens at cruising speeds provided i go over something mildly bumpy, including reflectors in between the road lanes.

I've already tried:

1. Tightening rocker cover (from a thread i saw on hondatech)
        2. Checking the "Type S" door sills or whatever they are called, those metal strips that are inside the door
        3. The door trims
        4. All the mirrors, the sun visors
        5. Driving with sun roof open/closed and the interior sunroof cover open/closed

Last night i parked the car on flat ground and starting lightly hitting things with my palm. I think i've isolated the noise to the speedo cluster area. It sounds like one tic tac being shaken inside a box, so i imagine whatever is loose must be quite small...

Wlee = wayne? the "special" white DC2? Hi man how you been!! I havent seen/heard from you in years since i got outta hondas after that ek4

Gunpoon - i sure will. Is ur car modded? I'm wondering whether its a by product of hard sussy or something that comes loose eventually on all DC5S

Comment

supposedly it's the alignment clips around where the dash and firewall meet under the windshield. it'll happen more when the dash is cold. just gotta learn to deal with it.
          Blaze Orange

Comment

LOL, Looks like this is one problem i dont have to worry about.

Comment

Because you read about it, you would start hearing it now.

Trust me
              Blaze Orange

Comment

Originally posted by TypeSexy View Post
                Because you read about it, you would start hearing it now.

Trust me
                Drove my car today, after i read this thread, Didnt hear it, if i start to hear it im going to blame U for Jinxing me!

Comment

Originally posted by Type S Tony View Post
                  LOL, Looks like this is one problem i dont have to worry about.
                  Why??? Did you strip the dash or something

As for the alignment clips - where are they? do i access them from the engine bay or the cabin?

I wanted to try and put up with it... but its as irritating as an itchy groin. I could imagine if I ever was going to have a spirited drive it'd shit me to no end with it going tac tac tac tac tac tac .... tac tac... everytime i went around a corner.

Thanks for the input guys...hopefully i can find it... i'll do a writeup on how to fix it

Comment

Originally posted by **Ghost** View Post
                    Why??? Did you strip the dash or something

As for the alignment clips - where are they? do i access them from the engine bay or the cabin?

I wanted to try and put up with it... but its as irritating as an itchy groin. I could imagine if I ever was going to have a spirited drive it'd shit me to no end with it going tac tac tac tac tac tac .... tac tac... everytime i went around a corner.

Thanks for the input guys...hopefully i can find it... i'll do a writeup on how to fix it
                    LOL, No sorry, I meant that I dont have this sound comming from my dash period. best way to access the clips would prob be to remove the shroud covering the dial cluster and then remove the cluster (Speedo & 2 cables i think) and see if you can acess the clips that way, ide imagine it would be more of a feel around job as its a fairly tight place to be working in. do the same on the passenger side but remove glove box compartment instead

Comment

Tony - One day. Maybe not today. But one day when you're driving along innocently, unaware and oblivious...it will strike. You will rev it to 5800rpm (or lower depending if you have an ECU), you will expect the high cam to start coming on... but instead you hear tac tac tac tac tac tac tac

... i'll try fiddle around with it this weekend then. I know i sound quite anal whinging about a tac but really gets irritating. If i can't find the problem i'll take my mate's offer on the Buddy Club Spec 3 and not hear anything altogether.... including the girlfriend whinging its too loud... just rev it past 4000rpm everytime she tries to talk

"you said you would....."
                      "BrAAAP
                      "sorry what were you saying?"
                      "I said you promised you would...."
                      "BrAAaaAPP"

Comment

lol
                        k20A DC2R

Comment

Lolz, Ghost the one thing you should know is that when im driving along im never driving innocently.

I say definantly do the buddy club spec 3 Zorst!

Comment

Originally posted by **Ghost** View Post
                            "you said you would....."
                            "BrAAAP
                            "sorry what were you saying?"
                            "I said you promised you would...."
                            "BrAAaaAPP"

ROFL!

and

a

big

CITR

welcome

to

you!!!
                            ... retired/

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the answer guys : )

i'll have some fun with the interior trim this weekend and let you guys know

As for the BC Spec 3 exhaust... tempted to. I did some "research" on youtube and found it to be extraordinarily loud. That being said, those video "tests" generally involved ppl flogging the car WOT, and there was no interior sound recording either so not sures yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X