What to do (replace the car?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do (replace the car?)

I have owned a 2000 DC2R for over 5 years now. So its getting a little old (9 yrs now i guess) but that's not my major concern.

What is really concerning me is the km i have done in it. 155,000km.

I am doing about 25,000 km per year now days (usually at night so not rush hour so its easy on the car). So the km are piling up and i am worried the value of the car will fall very quickly as i head towards 200k and beyond.

I love the car and there has never been anything wrong with it.. i hope its overengineered and will go strongly for years to come.. but i am a little worried.

I reckon i can maybe get 17k for it. Its in good condition. Cars sell for more in Adelaide than Melb/Syd.

So i was thinking what do i do?

options:
    a> just keep going as is, its value wont fall that much, its age/km wont start being a problem in terms of reliability for many years to come
    b> sell it now, buy a 2003 S2000 for about $40k (price diff to my car ~23k)
    c> sell it now, buy a 2007 Civic TypeR for 32k (price diff to my car ~15k)
    d> ??????????

I have not driven a S2000 nor a Civic TypeR.. dont know what they will be like compared to the DC2R which i love the feel of...

currently my car has Mugen intake, baffled sump, mugen pedals, SSR Wheels

What do people think?
    Last edited by 00dc2; 02-04-09, 10:18 AM.

If you are worried about clocking up the K's in your DC2R... wouldn't you be worried about clocking up the K's in a CTR or S2k?

Maybe you should look into getting another car (Cheap car that you don't really care about) and use the DC2R as a weekend car?

I currently do this as I catch the train to work everyday, and I don't want to leave the teg at the trainstation all day (And the crazy weather we have been having in Brisbane lately, it would more then likely hail in the middle of the day if i did)

Just a thought.

Comment

clocking up km from 20k to 100k is not that much of a concern... but once a car's km go really high it become very undesirable... and relatively unreliable????

interesting idea though... buy something cheap/crap for mundane driving...

very interesting.....

Comment

your car to me is already undesirable at 155k.

Seriously to me thats a lot, just keep it do your k's rack up another 200k, your R will be fine.

Your long over the hill.
        /Oo ___H___ oO\
        |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

do what i am about to do. I was thinking exactly like you at one stage. At the moment i am in the process of getting a second car so that i can clock up the k's on that and keep the dc2r for weekends going out ...

Comment

My daily is a Suziki Vitara (Also used to go on the beach, bush... over gutters ), and its slow, has plenty of body roll and just isn't exciting to drive at all.

But when I drive my teg on the weekend... after owning it for almost 3 years... I still don't want to sell it as I enjoy it far to much. I also don't mod it as much as it takes me 4-6 months to find a "fault" with something... well thats the reason I use to buy stuff for it

Comment

problem is finding a cheap/crap car... that isnt too expensive and isnt too unreliable..

grrr... i like buying cars that are special.. cars that are special are often well looked after by owners who are a bit more fastidious about their cars...

buy a average car from your average joe sixpack and its a good chance its been badly looked after.. anyway.. i will give it some thought.

Comment

^ Toyota anything? lol

155k, the car won't magically fall into pieces once it ticks over 200k lol. Look after it and it should be ok. It is a Honda afterall.
                David

'00 DC2 Integra TypeR SOLD
                '78 SB2 Civic "Hondamatic"
                '07 GD3 Jazz

Comment

Don't laugh but french cars are pretty underrated in my opinion, Id get a Renault hot hatch or a citroen (i did end up with a C4).

I used to think I would never look at one, but I swear I think the C4 is an awesome car. Much better than any toyota or honda in the same price range.

Who wants a corolla these days ? or a Civic ? Overpriced in my opinion
                  /Oo ___H___ oO\
                  |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

just use it and change engine when your engine's time is up for retire. that way you enjoy your car to the max from now on till it retires and when you get a new engine. Not hard.
                    - Project R -

Comment

whats a new engine cost for a DC2R? and can you still get "New" engines?

Comment

my old man had his 92 LS integra engine rebuilt a few months ago and it isnt all that great now.. sound smuch rougher and has much less power... that's what i am terrified of... rebuilding it and it being sh!td

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
                          whats a new engine cost for a DC2R? and can you still get "New" engines?
                          sure you wont get new engines, but I am pretty sure you can get low kms engine from japan somewhere. cost? maybe 10k shipped and installed. *shrug* gotta ask around. but then again, I've seen many k20a going around for 10k and less and some already tuned by mugen. B18 shouldnt cost more than k20 tuned i presume..
                          - Project R -

Comment

If you still love it as much as you say so,then you should keep it. 155k is already alot imho. May as well enjoy it until the day your actually willing to give it up because by then you wont regret it when it does sell.

An extra 3 or 4k (my estimate) if you sell your car now? or 2 years more enjoyment what is more important to you?
                            Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #008

Comment

I thought about the same thing when i was at 130K.

Then i thought SCREW IT. So i facelifted, resprayed and mugenized myself.

When my engine dies. Ill mugenize that too. 151 going strong baby. Its not worth SFA once is over 120.

Comment

Working...
                              X