DC5R Mugen GT Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R Mugen GT Wing

I was pulled over by the Police today and told that according to that particular Policeman, that my wing was dangerous and would slice someone to bits.

I have read the vehicle standards 26 for Victoria road worthiness requirements.

It is extremely broad, subject to the policeman's subjectivity and i am sure its been discussed before. But i was hoping for people input from there experiences in regards to GT wings and whether there is any information that i can use in my defence.

you dont have much to stand on.

take it off, clear the defect and if you must put it back on...MOST cops will over look it.

Comment

That sounds so random o.o How could you slice someone to bits with your wing???

Comment

The wing is not one piece.

Chances of it shattering and creating shrapnel is at a higher chance than the stock wing.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
        Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

The policeman was nice enough not to defect me, and told me to look into changing it...but coz i love my wing so much...i dont really want to change it.

Would really prefer to keep it on...What spurred me to ask the question was because not long after i saw a Gallardo Superleggera with the gt wing...which made me ask myself...if the Lambo can have it why cant it

The edge on that wing was definitely sharper than mine

Comment

Your lucky you got off with a warning. Friend of mine has had a similar issue with his wing. He has been defected twice for it. Cop said the wing was too big therefore interfering with his rear view vision and also that it was dangerous (same as your situation). He has tried to fight it but to no success.
            Only options are to go back to stock or keep running the risk
            Vivid Blue Integra Type-S
            "When I grow up I want camber like TeamMR."
            sigpic
            itr_***@hotmail.com says: (10:43:08 PM)
            send that cock breath back to the land of the stuffed turkeys

Comment

sell it to me and i'll deal with the po-po, its a small price to pay for having such a damn sexy wing
              02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
                Your lucky you got off with a warning. Friend of mine has had a similar issue with his wing. He has been defected twice for it. Cop said the wing was too big therefore interfering with his rear view vision and also that it was dangerous (same as your situation). He has tried to fight it but to no success.
                That's rubbish. I hate BS from cops like that. If that was the case the Mini Cooper S Cabrio and the FN2 Civic wouldn't be allowed on the road. Both cars have much worse rear vision than an Integra with a Mugen wing.

I do agree however with the dangerous aspect. Aftermarket wings can be of varying quality and unless it's engineered and fitted by the manufacturer there's no guarantee of roadworthiness.
                Last edited by m0nty; 08-12-08, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ilusi View Post
                  The policeman was nice enough not to defect me, and told me to look into changing it...but coz i love my wing so much...i dont really want to change it.

Would really prefer to keep it on...What spurred me to ask the question was because not long after i saw a Gallardo Superleggera with the gt wing...which made me ask myself...if the Lambo can have it why cant it

The edge on that wing was definitely sharper than mine
                  The Gallardo has next to no rear vision regardless of the wing. The Superluggera rear wing is tiny anyway and is a minor vision impedance compared to the V10 sitting in front of it. The car has also been homologated for Australian roads by the manufacturer and approved by ADR. Whilst we know it's all beurocratic red tape the real reason is a simple black and white rule when it comes to mods. They don't take it on a case by case. It's just a blanket rule so they don't waste time recording the different structures.

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
                    Who was it?

Funny enough the Mugen wing actually gives BETTER rear vision. The stock wing is actually in the way of the rear view where as the Mugen is higher and actually clears the rear view.

I was also given a warning about my wing but only about the metal leg section bit. The cop said it needs to me rounded off like the rest of the wing. So I did!
                    Last edited by TeMp; 09-12-08, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I think GT wings are a hazard due if its length is longer then the width of the body. Then the wing would be protruding out the sides of the body, hence it could do some serious damage to either pedestrians, other vehicles, etc. Also due to the fact that GT wings dont exactly have a smooth finishes on the edges since it uses such materials as metal, steel, etc it could do some serious damage if you were standing at a lights and someone had a gt wing and drove past and just clipped you without knowing.

I think you can get the GT wing engineered if its within the width of the car or something like that, so then its not a hazard to other people.

Comment

Or just use GT wing for track only, and slap the stock one on for daily driving. That's what I do...

Originally posted by ChargeR
                        Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Mugen GT wing is design for DC5 and its road worthy.....I had mine on for the last almost 2 years...never have issue with cops......the wing is way within the side of the car.....and the top wing is one piece......(His wing is geniune)......edge is smooth coz its made by CF and FG......and as TeMp mention the rear view is way better then a stock wing......There is no way they can defect u with that......I have it inspect in Vicroad and they say its perfectly ok....so if that was me...I will just ignore it......keep ur wing on willy.....you will be fine.....
                          Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                          1)ブレーキを踏む
                          2)クラッチを切る
                          3)シフトダウンしなから、
                            アクセルをぶかす
                          4)クラッチをつなぐ
                          :blah:
                          インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                          人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

i was under the impression its ok because its mugen. Like TRD is for toyota and Ralliart for mitsubishi etc...
                            sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Thats what I told cops....if they pull me over....but unless they are traffic police.......normal cops have no idea what is what.....like they dun even know DC5R come with recaros.......lol
                              Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                              1)ブレーキを踏む
                              2)クラッチを切る
                              3)シフトダウンしなから、
                                アクセルをぶかす
                              4)クラッチをつなぐ
                              :blah:
                              インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                              人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Working...
                              X