Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Struts info

Hey Guys,

Just cruising around last night and a mate of mine advised me to get a rear tower strut to increase handling and decrease under-steer. Just looking around at some, spoon, mugen, cusco, carbing. Just wondering is there really a benefit to getting one of these and if so, which brand is recommended and who can install it nice. I have seen a few DIY jobs and it doesn't look very nice ><!
    sigpic

I have been told the same but cant see it as being as important as the front.

Spoon & OEM are good because you dont have to cut the trim to fit!
    "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

i think all rear strut are the same

and i would get coilovers before i'll get strut cos i don thtink you can really feel that much difference form just a rear strut bar

z10 says:
      i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
      z10 says:
      mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

You would benefit more from sway bars and coilovers.

However if you wanted a rear strut bar Mugen or Carbing would be some of the best ones to get as they are not joined by a single yet moveable bolt, but are one whole piece or joined by multiple bolts.

But if the chasis was to be able to flex that much to cause the bolt to move out of place then you have serious chasis issues.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
        Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

Doesn't the Type S come with sway bars from factory? Coilovers is a hard option due to my insanely steep drive way ><! Stock 4WD height is needed.
          sigpic

Comment

thicker rear sway bar

z10 says:
            i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
            z10 says:
            mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Originally posted by Zakarados View Post
              Hey Guys,

Just cruising around last night and a mate of mine advised me to get a rear tower strut to increase handling and decrease under-steer. Just looking around at some, spoon, mugen, cusco, carbing. Just wondering is there really a benefit to getting one of these and if so, which brand is recommended and who can install it nice. I have seen a few DIY jobs and it doesn't look very nice ><!
              i don't understand how it can't look nice if it's DIY install. if it bolts up you're fine..?

i had the spoon rear strut bar. honestly didn't notice any difference with it there. rear swaybar is definitely the go for the $$$.
              T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

Where is this inherant understeer your friend speaks of? The DC5 is a very neutral drive for a FWD. You'd have to be driving like a flaming idiot to be doing what he deems as understeer on the road.

Just fit some bigger sway bars for a better handling feel. At least then you'll feel the results because despite what people say, you'll never be able to gauge the difference a rear strut bar gives you. It merely compliments the rest of the suspension and chassis dynamics.
                Last edited by m0nty; 05-09-08, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
                  Just fit a Swift or Cusco rear sway bar for massive FWD dori. At least then you'll feel the results because despite what people say, you'll never be able to gauge the difference a rear sway bar gives you. It merely compliments the rest of the suspension and chassis dynamics.
                  did you mean to write rear strut bar here?
                  T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

Originally posted by MrThanh View Post
                    did you mean to write rear strut bar here?
                    Yes I did. Otherwise I'd completely contradict the first paragraph. Edited now.

Comment

Dont mean to highjack thread, but question about our AUDM DC5Rs which i thought was semi relevant.

Do our cars come with stock rear sway bar, and are they the same as the JDM one? i noticed a rear sway on the bottom of my car the other day when examining my exhaust and i had been driving for years not knowing it was there. :P

Comment

Originally posted by staryknight View Post
                        Dont mean to highjack thread, but question about our AUDM DC5Rs which i thought was semi relevant.

Do our cars come with stock rear sway bar, and are they the same as the JDM one? i noticed a rear sway on the bottom of my car the other day when examining my exhaust and i had been driving for years not knowing it was there. :P
                        AUDM DC5Rs come with a 19mm solid rear sway bar, whilst JDM Type Rs get a 22mm solid one.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Just cruising around last night and a mate of mine advised me to get a rear tower strut to increase handling and decrease under-steer.
                          Get better friends .

Doesn't the Type S come with sway bars from factory? Coilovers is a hard option due to my insanely steep drive way ><! Stock 4WD height is needed.
                          If you have to stay with oem ride height, but you actually want your car to handle I would start with an aftermarket rear sway bar, a few camber bolts for the front, and a good alignment. If you must get strut bars ensure you get one piece welded design ones, as the others are just pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                            If you have to stay with oem ride height, but you actually want your car to handle I would start with an aftermarket rear sway bar, a few camber bolts for the front, and a good alignment. If you must get strut bars ensure you get one piece welded design ones, as the others are just pointless.
                            I'd recommend a new house with flat driveway

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
                            Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

Working...
                            X