New JDM Civic Type R shortly - maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New JDM Civic Type R shortly - maybe

I was in Japan last week and went to the Honda headquarters at Aoyama in Tokyo. I went there to do a little measuring of the front brake rotors on the current model Civic Type R. The JDM Civic Type R runs 320mm diameter rotors on the front compared to 300mm on the DC5 and current model Civic Type R here in Australia from the UK. If the offset was close enough to my JDM DC5, I was simply going to make up some adaptor brackets to suit. When I got there, no Civic Type R anywhere. (Honda always displays every model at their Aoyama headquarters.) So, up to the counter I go and ask about where the Civic Type R is. "I am sorry" the lady behind the counter told me. "Honda have just ceased production of the current model JDM Civic Type R. There will be a new model released in a couple of months". I walked away, then spun around and went back and asked more specifically for a release date. The lady jumped on the phone, had a chat with someone there at Honda, then came back with "Sorry, I cannot tell you the release date. I wasn't allowed to even mention that a new model is about to be released" and declined to make anymore comment on the subject from that point onwards.

So, maybe a new model JDM Civic Type R before Christmas. Don't hold your breath on a new model Civic Type R here in Australia from the UK.

I did find a new Civic Type R at a Honda dealer just south of Shinagawa (for those who know Tokyo). I did some measuring and it's looking real good for a fit to my JDM DC5R. Sorry, but the Australian DC5R has approximately 10mm less rotor offset than the JDM DC5R. Can be done on the Australian model, but you can very easily run into clearance problems.
    Last edited by Evatec; 31-08-08, 05:43 AM.

Good information . Very sad for us in Australia who have only just come to terms with being denied the FD2R .

Why were you measuring the rotors on the FD2? Your post does not make it clear.

Comment

i read somewhere japan was getting the fn2r. maybe they were referring to that.

Comment

new mugen type R

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showpost...ostcount=24225

z10 says:
        i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
        z10 says:
        mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
          Why were you measuring the rotors on the FD2? Your post does not make it clear.
          I am after some larger diameter rotors for the front of my car to improve the braking mechanical advantage (320/300 meaning nearly a 7% improvement). Bigger rotors means I don't have to push the brake pedal so hard when on the track. If I find rotors with the same offset (or "height" according to DBA ie. www.dba.com.au) then making adaptor brackets to hold the caliper to clamp the bigger rotors without having clearance problems is easier. It seems that the JDM Civic Type R has rotors that are very close to what I want and only a couple hundred dollars.

Comment

Edit: Was just explained the concept of how bigger rotors will affect your brake pedal feel - Now I understand what you're trying to do
            Last edited by mugsee; 31-08-08, 06:40 PM.
            Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Oh no! FD 2 always >>>> then FN 2!!
              MrThanh, where you get these pictures? good stuff!
              Last edited by yakuza; 31-08-08, 11:39 AM.

Comment

makes sence, prob 09 release, since fd2 has been around since 06. 3 years is normal.
                sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

probably a facelift around OCT...

Comment

Evatec are you still using the stock JDM brembos?

Comment

Originally posted by TeMp View Post
                      Evatec are you still using the stock JDM brembos?
                      Yep, using the stock Brembos. Not using the stock pad though. With the stock (soft) pads, the brakes are great. Currently, I am using Mugen pads back and front. The front pads are quite hard and require quite a bit of brake pedal (read leg) pressure. I like the very progressive feel of the Brembo calipers with the Mugen Type R pads, but I'm finding that I am putting too much energy into standing on the pedal and that it's talking a little away from my focus of driving and downshifting.

Sure, I can go for softer pads up front, but then the pads wear out faster. That's the reason I'm looking at increasing the front rotor diameter. Hopefully, I'll get nice brakes and the pads and rotors will last longer.

Comment

I think mugen Type S pads are great.....unless you track all the time....of coz Type R pads are better if you dun mine its not as street friendly....
                        Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                        1)ブレーキを踏む
                        2)クラッチを切る
                        3)シフトダウンしなから、
                          アクセルをぶかす
                        4)クラッチをつなぐ
                        :blah:
                        インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                        人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Originally posted by Evatec View Post
                          Yep, using the stock Brembos. Not using the stock pad though. With the stock (soft) pads, the brakes are great. Currently, I am using Mugen pads back and front. The front pads are quite hard and require quite a bit of brake pedal (read leg) pressure. I like the very progressive feel of the Brembo calipers with the Mugen Type R pads, but I'm finding that I am putting too much energy into standing on the pedal and that it's talking a little away from my focus of driving and downshifting.

Sure, I can go for softer pads up front, but then the pads wear out faster. That's the reason I'm looking at increasing the front rotor diameter. Hopefully, I'll get nice brakes and the pads and rotors will last longer.
                          Intresting. I didn't think the stock brembos could cater for such an increase in size of rotor as I thought the stock rotors for the JDM DC5 was 280mm and a jump in 40mm is quite a leap.

Comment

Originally posted by TeMp View Post
                            Intresting. I didn't think the stock brembos could cater for such an increase in size of rotor as I thought the stock rotors for the JDM DC5 was 280mm and a jump in 40mm is quite a leap.
                            JDM rotors are 300mm, the same diameter as AUDM.

M&M Honda make a kit to fit larger rotors to the stock brembos also.

Comment

Originally posted by Evatec View Post

i would have thought that changing to more appropriate brake pads would be a heck of a lot cheaper/easier/quicker than going to 320mm rotors...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X