ep3 opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sai_ANN
    the usual things that you need to look at when buying a second hand car...imports will generally get a rating from the jap auction house for interior and exterior condition...

all the parts for the K20A are the same...and some suspension parts are interchangeable...

i'm a bit biased here...but yes...it is a good car...only con is the fact that because it's an import it's harder to get insurance...more expensive to get parts, can't find second hard parts etc...

also the engine is a geniune K20A whereas the one in the audm dc5r is the watered down version made for the aussie market...

no idea about depreciation...but you're looking at approx 25-28k for a 2002 model and 30k+ for a 2004 model...

since when were you looking at an ep3 steve...?!
    I too, have been considering an EP3 Type R.

Just wondering if all UK models come with the Jap Spec K20A?

Comment

i insure with Shannons and paying around $800 a year.

^^ all EP3 were made in UK (that includes JDM as well) and we only get JDM spec so all EP3 in aust have Jap spec K20a. those that were sold in UK/Europe are detuned. (158kw vs 147kw)

Comment

Originally posted by Kazaf View Post

if the ADM model K20A is the watered down engine, and the EP3 is the jap spec, then why do both have the some power spec??? ADM DC5R 147kw exactly the same as the EP3

what i was told is the ADM DC5R is a JDM DC5S, with recaro's and LSD.<-- not sure if this is right but someone like eddie or Michael would know.

Comment

EDIT ep3 has 214 BHP which translates to 160kw.
          The AUDM dc5r is the USDM RSX-S.

In 2001 Honda introduced the next generation of the Civic Type R (EP3) as a unique 3 door hatchback to the UK market, which was manufactured in Swindon, England. This EDM Civic Type R featured a 197hp 2.0L i-VTEC engine (K20A) and the regular Type R treatment of seam welding, close ratio transmission and uprated brakes, but did not include some of the other higher-end features, such as the helical LSD and Recaro race-seats, that were standard in the previous generation EK9. However, Honda Japan still had a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) version of the EP3 (which was also manufactured in Swindon, but shipped to Japan for finishing touches), which retained the highly renowned helical LSD similar to that of the EK9. Other differences included a more track-oriented chassis with undercarriage settings as compared to the EDM, as well as a 214 BHP engine with different camshafts and ECU programming. The JDM EP3 was also available in the traditional Type R championship white while the EDM was not. The EDM has more relaxed gear ratios and some high rpm horse power traded for low rpm torque compared to the JDM
          Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic_Type_R
          Last edited by Didz; 21-08-08, 10:41 AM.
          sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.R View Post
            if the ADM model K20A is the watered down engine, and the EP3 is the jap spec, then why do both have the some power spec??? ADM DC5R 147kw exactly the same as the EP3
            according to Honda, JDM EP3 has 158kw and 202nm.

Comment

sowie yes i was quoting on the UK model... There quite a far few CTR's here

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.R View Post

what i was told is the ADM DC5R is a JDM DC5S, with recaro's and LSD.<-- not sure if this is right but someone like eddie or Michael would know.
                Incorrect.

JDM DC5S is approximately 118-120 kws, its a sporty model but not up to par with the Type R.

The american RSX-S has a similar engine to our AUDM DC5R for their earlier models, but the 05-06 had an uprated engine with better cams ( intake or exhaust side cant rememebr ) stronger crank, higher rev limit, dual valve springs etc.

Also things like better IM and exhaust were applied.

And many other bits in the suspension area was updated.

Also comapred to the Type S the Type R ( AUDM included) had no sound deadening, the mid floor brace is aluminium to saved weight opposed to the Type S which is steel.

The JDM EP3 and JDM DC5R had exactly the same engine, there is no difference internally however the JDM DC5R had a better header/exhaust set up hence the slightly more power output.

but because the EP3 is lighter than the DC5R it is quicker in the 1/4 mile.

The accord Euro R had different intake manifold design to the EP3/DC5R, but internal wise i dont think there was any difference, but will try and dig up info about it.

The UK spec EP3R engine does not output as much power as the JDM one.
                Last edited by Chi; 21-08-08, 01:57 PM.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
                Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

Originally posted by Chi View Post
                  Incorrect.

JDM DC5S is approximately 118-120 kws, its a sporty model but not up to par with the Type R.

The american RSX-S has a similar engine to our AUDM DC5R for their earlier models, but the 05-06 had an uprated engine with better cams ( intake or exhaust side cant rememebr ) stronger crank, higher rev limit, dual valve springs etc.

Also things like better IM and exhaust were applied.

And many other bits in the suspension area was updated.

Also comapred to the Type S the Type R ( AUDM included) had no sound deadening, the mid floor brace is aluminium to saved weight opposed to the Type S which is steel.

The JDM EP3 and JDM DC5R had exactly the same engine, there is no difference internally however the JDM DC5R had a better header/exhaust set up hence the slightly more power output.

The accord Euro R had different intake manifold design to the EP3/DC5R, but internal wise i dont think there was any difference, but will try and dig up info about it.

The UK spec EP3R engine does not output as much power as the JDM one.
                  ^ yeah what he said

Bloody spot on Chi ! !

Comment

But arn't there figures all taken from a Japan Tuned and running on Japan fuel? What kind of power outputs would it make AU tune and AU fuel?
                    sigpic

Comment

I've seen EP3's run on dyno's compared to AUDM DC5R's and stock to stock or similary modded the EP3 output quite a bit more power than the AUDM.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
                      Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

Originally posted by Chi View Post

according to honda again:

EP3 weighted 1190kg without air or 1210kg with air;

DC5R weighted 1170kg without air or 1180kg with air.

so DC5R JDM is lighter.

Comment

You guys are so lucky when it comes to buying ep3s, here in perth there was one only for sale at the time I was looking for one and that car yard was asking $28900 for 02 model, 50000kms and car was max grade 4 (didn't look like very looked after car)
                          Now few months later car is still for sale and their price is still same, idiots...

Anyway back to ep3 talk, what's the official 0-100km/h and 1/4mile time for JDM ep3s???

Comment

and the debate continue's. who's right.. i dare not comprehend chi's info.. Philip you brave man ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Philip Lee View Post
                              according to honda again:

EP3 weighted 1190kg without air or 1210kg with air;

DC5R weighted 1170kg without air or 1180kg with air.

so DC5R JDM is lighter.
                              Yeah, I was about to post EP3 is heavier till I scrolled down to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazaf View Post

get one bro, they look awesome i reckon.

Originally posted by Philip Lee View Post
                                i insure with Shannons and paying around $800 a year.

^^ all EP3 were made in UK (that includes JDM as well) and we only get JDM spec so all EP3 in aust have Jap spec K20a. those that were sold in UK/Europe are detuned. (158kw vs 147kw)
                                $800 a year?

what area are u from? and how old are you if you dont mind me asking.

Comment

Working...
                                X