Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I find out if I have an aftermarket clutch/flywheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I find out if I have an aftermarket clutch/flywheel?

hey guys, is there a way to tell if i've got an aftermarket clutch or flywheel without opening anything up?

the clutch pedal feels heavier? there's a noise when you up shift?

what signs do I look for?

after flywheel usually is a lot lighter than oem. i say if you always had it you wouldnt know, but maybe compare to a same model car as yours thats stock and see the difference?
    19,000 rpm still going

Comment

lighter fly wheels = revs drop faster
      Have you had your daily dose of VTEC?

Comment

thanks guys...
        but by dropping faster are we talking about from 4000rpm in 3rd gear and you press the clutch pedal and it is almost instantly dropped to 1000rpm or less?

i bought the car as is (with mods) and just recently my friend also bought a stock TypeS and when i drove his car, it felt like his car's clutch pedal feels a little lighter than mine and the friction point was a little higher....his car has about 10,000km less than mine, but could his car have a more worn clutch than mine and that's why his clutch point is further up the pedal travel?

Comment

My friend and I drive same AUDM DC5R, we both bought it brand new back then.

I track my car much more than him, in the end my clutch pedal feels so much heavier just like after market clutch, of course the bite isn't. I guess the only way to tell is when the clutch bite, aftermarket clutch is definitely less convenient to use for daily driven car, you'll definitely be able to tell.

No exp with flywheel before.

Comment

i think clutch bite moves during time from use so it would be pretty hard to tell if you have an aftermarket clutch or not especially if the previous owner installed an normal sport clutch which sometimes they still feel like oem.

just like said test both cars even in idel just rev it and see how the rev goes up and down.

light flywheel is easier to rev and drops quicker.

also u could try reversing up an hill. a car will lighter flywheel will be alot harder goin reverse up an hill no momentum at all
            19,000 rpm still going

Comment

Working...
            X