tail light water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tail light water

my DC5S tail lights fill up with water everytime it rains or whenever i wash my car..its fills up maybe a quarter of the lights and recently it has started leaking into the area which holds the bulb, is this a common problem? how do i go about fixing this problem? would i need new lights?

If you still have warranty then take it back to Honda and get them to replace a new light.

If not then take out the light and seal it all around the edge with some clear silicon.

Comment

You will probably need to replace the seal that sits in between the taillight and the chassis.

I had to buy one for my passenger side and it costs approximately $60 (or was it $80) from Honda.

To take the water out, it'll be good if you can use compressed air to blow most of it out and then use a heat gun to evaporate what's left of the water (note: not for long, or else you will warp your taillight with all that heat)

While you have the taillight off, check if there are any cracks in the taillight to make sure the water is not leaking through it.

check it out asap so you don't rust the connectors for the bulbs!
      ClubITR | Like

Comment

take it back to the dealer, it's a warranty job if you still have warranty.
        i got mine done

Comment

i have the same problem for my car..

does it matter which dealer you go to or can you just ask any dealer to do it for you?

Comment

yep, i bought my car from syd and i went to my local dealer to get the warranty job done.

Comment

Originally posted by tofu View Post
              yep, i bought my car from syd and i went to my local dealer to get the warranty job done.
              alrite, well does the dealer replace the tail light or do they re seal it for you, would all dealers do this or would they just pour out the water?

did u by any chance get urs done at larke hoskins homebush?

Comment

Its funny how all the water threads are coming out as its been raining... LOL!

I had a funny smell from my car today so I took out the spare tyre and found a puddle of water underneath it.

Gee now I have to find out where its coming from!

Seems like its only the bottom part. Underneath the boot - like none of the boot carpets are wet or anything...

Tail lights used to fill up with water; but mechanic drilled a small hole underneath them to let it drain out.

Could this be part of it?
                "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Se7en_11 View Post
                  alrite, well does the dealer replace the tail light or do they re seal it for you, would all dealers do this or would they just pour out the water?

did u by any chance get urs done at larke hoskins homebush?
                  nope, i'm in QLD.

they said something like that they do not do repairs, it's easier just to replace the entire headlight/tailight unit

Comment

what tofu said. I had a little condensation in one of my tail lights. Under warranty the dealer will just replace the whole tail light.

Comment

wow seems like a common problem, i (ok, chi did) jsut noticed i have some condensation in my right rear tail light as well after driving in the rain.

i got a few months warranty left but im always worried they'll try and avoid looking at anything coz my car is so modded...

Comment

It happend to mine hey replace the hole unit, Rick D service
                        Nankangs, Better than Your-Mums-Cans

* Please note, I hate Nankangs.

Comment

Originally posted by l3vnd1 View Post
                          Its funny how all the water threads are coming out as its been raining... LOL!

I had a funny smell from my car today so I took out the spare tyre and found a puddle of water underneath it.

Gee now I have to find out where its coming from!

Seems like its only the bottom part. Underneath the boot - like none of the boot carpets are wet or anything...

Tail lights used to fill up with water; but mechanic drilled a small hole underneath them to let it drain out.

Could this be part of it?
                          i use to have this problem with my dc5r, when its raining heavy. solved the problem by tightening up the bolts that hold the tail lights. my boot is stripped so its was easy to see where the water was coming from.

Comment

looks like a few ITR's have this problem here some pic's of my DC2R rear ligths

you can easily see where the water gets in just keeps filling up the tail light utile its over the opening to the boot

the nuts that held my tail light in were so loose i could unscrew them by finger i think my gasket has shrunk

do yous guys think i should drill some small drainage holes in the underside of the tail like so water can drain away ?
                            Attached Files
                            Living The Midnight Dream

Comment

Hmmm interesting;

How do you get to those bolts to tighten the tail lights to prevent water from getting in?
                              "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X