Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips to Buying/Selling Cars

Hey Guys and Girls,
    Considering there has been many reported incidents of car thefts during car inspections when selling cars, I thought I might ask the people who would spend alot of time buying/selling valuable cars for some tips and pre-cautions.

SELLING A CAR
    *From experience, what is the best method/techniques to attract potential customers and keep timewasters away?
    *How do u spot genuine buyers?
    *Safest way to show your car during inspections and test drives?

BUYING A CAR
    *Should u always take a mechanic/friend who knows their cars for inspection?
    *Other ways to avoid lemons?
    *Buying Interstate cars, how do you inspect and purchase (all in one trip)?

Finally....Money transfer. What do u guys do? I want to avoid cash.

Thanks,
    Chosta

Selling:

- If you ever feel safe, or unsure, don't do it.
    - Even when selling, yake a friend along.
    - Never meet at neutral ground.

Buying:
    - NRMA inspection.
    - Mechanic and/or carsalesman friend along :P
    - Interstate, its hard, but I've done it. And it was a lemon

Money:
    - Bank cheque only!!!

Comment

But bank cheques take time to clear though.

What do u mean by neutral ground?

Comment

Selling:

- Get people with DSLR to take really good pics of it and use that for car sales ad online.
        - Have a chat to the potential buyers to get an idea of what are they looking for, in the inspection meet. Sometimes, you can tell the timewasters. Otherwise, you can't really tell if they are geninue.
        - Always get a friend to come with you. Or, meet up at a public place. Best if you are mates to someone who has a shop front with carpark.

Buying:
        - Just go through a overall body inspectation and test drive. If good, then arrange another time to let the car inspected by a mechanic that really know that particular car model you are buying.
        - Interstate's the same. Pre-arrange a known workshop that knows that particular car model and have it inspected. Alternatively, you can use the power of internet and get someone in that state to have a brief look for you.

For Bank Cheque, don't just accept bank cheque. The best way i found, is to arrange with the buyer to go to the bank together, and witness the purchase of the cheque with your own eyes.
        For all ralliart colt owners & lovers, i'm please to announce that the ralliart colt forum is finally online and working. Please come and support the site. http://www.rcolt.com

Comment

Selling:
          - Don't overprice the car too much (eg. if you're looking to get $3000 for a car, don't advertise it for $7K) cos the initial price will deter any potential buyers
          - Be honest about the car, but not too honest! If in doubt, just tell them this is how you bought it and it's never given you any trouble before
          - Degrease the engine bay (just spray about 2 cans of the stuff in the garage and let it evaporate on it's own) - it will get you a little more money cos it looks like you've taken care of the car well

Buying:
          - Test drive: drive it like you would drive everyday. Take 1st & 2nd gear to the limit to see if there are any rattles or shakes when the car is at full stretch - just don't drive like a hoon.
          - Always take a mechanic friend with you to inspect the car - inside, outside and underneath!
          - Don't just look at one car and make your decision. Shop around for the car with the best condition. Lower Ks doesn't mean better condition!
          - Service history - make sure the car comes with a workshop manual and service history book

Moolah:
          - Cash deposit and approval (if you're getting a loan) letter is king! Let's the seller know you're genuine!
          '08 Odyssey + '10 Mazda CX-7 (fs btw) + '10 Mazda 2
          wife made me sell the FN2R. bleh.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackITR View Post
            Selling:

- If you ever feel safe, or unsure, don't do it.
            - Even when selling, yake a friend along.
            - Never meet at neutral ground.

Buying:
            - NRMA inspection.
            - Mechanic and/or carsalesman friend along :P
            - Interstate, its hard, but I've done it. And it was a lemon

Money:
            - Bank cheque only!!!
            You're a little off.

Selling - Meet at a neutral ground. I'd never want a stranger knowing where I live.

Buying - NRMA inspections don't tell you much. Even the inspectors tell us that they shine a torch around and do a quick lap. You won't pick major faults in a car with a 300m drive.

Money - I prefer to go to the bank, meet them there and have them direct debit the money into my account. Then they can take the car.

Comment

I totally agree with sp00n about reasonable pricing.

I've had a good amount of interests in the cars i've previously owned mainly because i price them for what i'm expecting. You can't fool someone buying private, 90% of the time people that are in a market for a car know the median price. So yes pricing at 27k when your gonna be happy with 23k is not the way to go

Selling a car, I get another car with me. Usually my brother and maybe a mate or two, and we usually meet in a populated area.
              Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #008

Comment

before u actually arrange the testdrive though.. get a copy of his licence details like jot down a quick name just incase anything happens.. if your quite concerned about this thing what you should do is write up a "break it you buy it" documentation where they can have a chance to read over it.. where their licence details are their too so if anything happens you have all the information you need to chase them up. =]
                Have you had your daily dose of VTEC?

Comment

Lol, thats what dealerships do when test driving... signing liability away.

Comment

Working...
                  X