Tips on Pumping Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on Pumping Fuel

Got this email from work....seems pretty accurate but im not 100% sure. So if anyone could elabrate on whether it is accurate would be pretty good.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS (Good information)

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon..

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode.If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tankswhen you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

all pretty much old wives tales...

most will make such a small impact that just one VTEC to redline would cancel it out...

FUEL SAVING TIP: dont drive short distances!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ... retired/

Comment

partially true theoretically. morning fill up without ppl filling at same time and triggure not full pressure, medium will do. and u might get 50cents more fuel

Comment

Now can someone give me tips so that every time i fill up the bloody thing doesnt constantly click at me =\

Comment

Interesting.....

For me just keep the tyre pressure correct, keep my air filter clean so doesn't restrict airflow... and I rarely have passengers to weigh the car down anyways, so less fuel when car is lighter from what i notice.
          sigpic

Comment

2nd point is new to me, but i have doubt on the last point. The thing is, if you constantly keep half of your tank, you will constantly have an extra 20 - 30 kg (depend how much is your full tank's capacity) The extra weight = extra fuel consumption.

Hence my conclusion is: fuel at early morning, pump at slow rate, always keep at most half tank, keep constant tyre pressure, left un-needed stuff at home...etc
            For all ralliart colt owners & lovers, i'm please to announce that the ralliart colt forum is finally online and working. Please come and support the site. http://www.rcolt.com

Comment

I fill up late at night or early in the morning anyway, because the service stations aren't busy then...

And pumping at half-speed? Bugger that. I have better things to do than spend extra time than necessary pumping fuel into my caR.

... and if you fill up at peak times, imagine the frustration of the people queuing behind you watching the meter tick .... $21....... $22..................... $23...................................... $24......................... I think I'd be forced to shoot you in the face.
              | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

^I cannot stop the clicking when i fill up. Seriously, i cant do it unless i fill it up reallllllllly slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post
                  ^I cannot stop the clicking when i fill up. Seriously, i cant do it unless i fill it up reallllllllly slowly.
                  Try having the nozzle fully in then experiment with different "depths". There is a right point where it goes fine
                  F/S: VTI-R Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post
                    you own a DC2R yes ? mine dose the same thing

I've found if you turn the nozzle 90 degrees to the left it doesn't do it, mind you you stile can't fill it flat out but better then just normal straight in which click after a few seconds
                    Living The Midnight Dream

Comment

Yeh ive found that to work at some servos, and not at others. Whats the reason for this???

Comment

don't worry about it all!
                        just fill up on a tuesday night when the cycle goes down.
                        best way to pump fuel
                        '08 Odyssey + '10 Mazda CX-7 (fs btw) + '10 Mazda 2
                        wife made me sell the FN2R. bleh.

Comment

when i first ever filled up, i was pretty noob and stuck nearly the whole pump in and it constantly clicked at me.. and then i tried taking it out a bit and filling.. say 3/4 or 2/3's in and it fills fine now with no clickkks

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                            all pretty much old wives tales...

most will make such a small impact that just one VTEC to redline would cancel it out...

FUEL SAVING TIP: dont drive short distances!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            and don't get stuck in peak hour traffic!!

Comment

Working...
                            X