Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes the DC5R special?

Hi everyone,

New member here, and thinking of getting some kind of track toy.

So as the title says, what makes the DC5R so special?
    Sure, it looks great, handles great, has the K20 motor, and a plethora of parts and knowledge when modifying them.

But for the price of a DC5R you can get an Evo VI.
    What would make someone consider a DC5R over an Evo VI?

I am confused, as even for myself the choice is not an easy one, yet in theory 1 car is a FWD NA car and the other a turbo AWD monster... seems like the choice should be simple and yet there is just something about the DC5R that cannot be explained.

So, could people list their pro/con views on the below cars as possible track toys:
    1. DC5R
    2. Evo VI
    3. S2000
    4. I have seen a Mitsubishi Mirage for sale, track ready with 4G63 FWD conversion, coilovers etc that posted really good lap times, at a fraction of the cost of the above 3

Personally I find the S2000 the least appealing for some reason (though I know it shouldn't be).
    The DC5R and Evo VI as most appealing, and I keep changing my mind as to which one I would prefer.
    And the Mirage is simply the best bang for back, but what are the drawbacks/benefits of this to a DC5R? With a 4G63 in the Mirage, the DC5R will likely never reach it's power level, so then it must come down to chassis/handling?

DC2R with boosted k-swap is best track car under $50k....
    ... retired/

Comment

Mirage with a 4g63 turbo with the right parts is quite a strong package if set up correct. Think eg civic k20ish. Fit 4/5 people.
      S2000 great engine great chassis Honda quality.2 seats and soft top. Lots of parts can be one of the best track cars around!
      Evo 6 strong in a straight line turbo power 4door good factory set up. The 6.5 or 9 are the only ones to have if you ask me.
      Dc5r Honda quality 4/5 seats good handling with good every day manners.
      Dc2r Honda quality 4/5 seats great handling with good every day manners

I bought a dc5r as it fitted what I wanted loved it for the last seven years.

Comment

I could crap on about the pro's and cons but I'll give it in a nut shell, I think driving a high reving Honda is simply more rewarding, and hence a more fun car to drive. Any noob can get behind the wheel of a torque filled awd turbo car and drive it fast. But picking the right gear, keeping the revs in the right spot and changing gears at the right time is so much more fun and rewarding. I also feel it makes you a better more attentive driver as you tend to pay more attention to your engine.
        Just my 2c

Sent from snoopnugs ringer
        using Tapatalk
        02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

My best mate has an Evo VI, it is a car I've driven plenty of times and I've driven it hard a lot to... My unpopular opinion is this. I like the Evo VI more than my DC5. In it's stock form compared to when my DC5,was stock, I find it far more comfortable, and the power available is so much better for every day driving (you'll never be caught in the wrong gear at the wrong time). It's a classic shape to, but only looks good in mint condition.

So why do I still own my DC5 and why haven't I run out to buy an Evo VI? Simple really.

- DC5 is cheaper to insure
          - DC5 doesn't look as dated
          - Hard to get parts for Evo, the Evo will never be as reliable
          - Impossible to find a clean Evo VI
          - Insurance is far more expensive for an Evo VI

Don't get me wrong however, the DC5R is still a great car, and a lot of my Evo friends love it. They even love the AUDM model more than the Toyota 86...
          Last edited by Beatz; 12-02-16, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys for the input.

And how would you guys describe the sense of community in owning this car, compared to say an Evo, and compared to a decent track car but that does not have a large following (taking the 4G63 Mirage as an example)?
            ie, are people friendly, are people less friendly, median age etc?

Just thinking towards the future, I think I (as most people) would be far more inclined to go to organized track days with people with the same type of car, compared to going to track days organized by clubs that have a variety of cars (especially if my car is on the lower end of of the scale which I assume it would be)

Comment

In WA where I live, I've not met any other DC5R owners, even after going to several Honda meets and track events, I've generally been the only one there. Most other Type R owners have been teenagers or young guys in their 20's though (Driving DC2R's)

Comment

Like you said, it's easier driving fast in a turbo AWD monster. To drive fast in an NA, FWD car takes skill

Comment

Working...
                X