Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Defect Story Thread

Hi guys,

As part of owning a modified car, owners are always easier targets for police to defect them (for genuine defects and sometimes for just little things for the sake of it).

The purpose of this thread is for people to post up their defect stories and experiences.

Go go go!
    Skibeemo.com

Interesting idea for a thread. I drove for many years before I was defected, which is surprising to me given what my Integra looks like. My first and only experience was in my Civic earlier this year:

I was was driving around for work because my company car, a VE Holden, was broken down in the street outside my house with a failed coil pack or two. Nothing like a 1989 Honda to show up a 2008 Holden for reliability. The police officer was neither rude nor polite, and honestly seemed a bit shocked to see me, a near middle aged guy, driving a pile of junk old Civic. 50mm of ground clearance isn't enough though apparently.

Comment

I've been done twice.

The first time was 1 month before my trip to Certified 2. Not sure where they were hiding but they chased me down on Victoria Rd pulled up behind me and signalled me to pull over. I entered UWS and got done at the bus stop. Two officers were in the car but the Sargent did the defect. The Sargent was more the quiet aggro type and the constable was quite polite.

The constable kept me company complimenting about my car and talking about the cars he owns. Both police officers were respectful and honestly, the way my car was modded at the time, i was asking for trouble. The funny part of the story was when the constable wanted to asked me "off the record" if i had changed my steering wheel. I ended up telling him how i did it and the process involved as he wanted to do it to his old corolla as well. That day, i got done for mostly wheels and suspension which were very reasonable as i had -4 camber all round and wheels almost touching the guards.

Fine: $110, no demerits.

The second time was about 3 months later, 1 week before my holiday in Japan. It seems like i keep getting done before any of big trips lol. These cops chased me down on Woodville Rd about 1-2kms away. I had noticed blue and red lights and accordingly, i have moved to the left lane early. Initially, i didn't expect it was cops chasing me down. I thought it was just an emergency service heading towards an actual emergency. It ended up being that they were chasing me down.

Air intake: I had a Gruppe M which is enclosed an covered. Cops excuse: i installed it myself and it can fall off down the road

Wheels: At this stage i have changed wheels to fit under the guards and comply with the law. His excuse was, "how can i tell these aren't made in China and will crack as you turn a corner". I was dumbfounded and just responded saying they are BBS and are made in Germany. He didn't care.

There was several other defects with stupid reasons. The only proper defect was my steering wheel. The worse part of the day was that i was only around the corner from my house.

I just ended up taking to a place and they laughed at the defects. I obviously put my stock steering wheel back but left the car as is. The mechanic was surprise that he listed the other defects. I had no time to fight this in court as i was flying out on Friday.

Fine: $330 and 3 points. The cop told me that i would't lose any. I only found out a year later after buying my second car that i have lost points. I've never ever lost any points previously. Both occasions I was just cruising along and wasn't driving like a dick in anyway.
      Last edited by stienerv2; 15-10-15, 03:12 PM.
      Instagram: @ictorv2 & @00zaku

Comment

Hey ChargeR, that EF Civic is mint! Not sure if it is a real EF9, but has the JDM front end and seats. Would you ever sell it?
        Integra Type R 01 #136

Comment

@stienerv2

Wow badluck with the officer in the 2nd defect, he has no clue at all.

@ITR136

It's not an EF9, I believe its a EF2 25xt special edition with a D15b. Please correct me if I'm wrong ChargeR guy. I am doubtful that he would ever sell it as I can recall he has literally never sold a car he's owned, true story.

My story isn't a defect story but it felt like I was close to getting one, haha.

On the way to a EXE Winton track day, high way patrols were camping near the track pulling over pretty much every car that looked modified.

Police officer said how my car was unroadworthy and shouldn't be on the road.
          1. My 1700mm Voltex wing was too wide. I am not even sure how this is a hazard, didn't want to ask. Haha.
          2. My tyres were unroadworthy. They were pretty much brand new tyres but they were the Nitto NT01's which are semi slicks, haha.
          3. My car was too low, which is kinda true.
          4. Car was too loud apparently? I went into neutral and coasted as soon as I saw the police so I didn't think this would be an issue, haha.

He then asked me where I was heading to, I replied I was going to the track to have some fun. Then let me off then warned me if he saw me out again with the wing, I'd cop it. So after the track day I removed the wing and gave it to a mate to bring back to Melbourne, pre-adrenalin pump before track day! Haha.
          1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

i really wanted to fight it but i had no time due to Japan. Also he had me on 1 legit defect.

I asked why is it $300 this time while last time was only $100. He goes "its a safety issue". Like the first time wasn't?
            Instagram: @ictorv2 & @00zaku

Comment

Originally posted by stienerv2 View Post
              i really wanted to fight it but i had no time due to Japan. Also he had me on 1 legit defect.

I asked why is it $300 this time while last time was only $100. He goes "its a safety issue". Like the first time wasn't?
              man that is some really bad luck!

I got pulled over 3 times in the dc5 with a gruppM and crKai and never got asked about them. I did notice cops would follow me around sometimes (maybe just paranoia).
              I only once got told that my foggies were illegal but he didnt issue a ticket

the new car though is almost invisible it seems.

"Because in a split second, it's gone" ~Ayrton Senna

Comment

when i got done in the s14 the cop pointed to my power steering reservoir with a spoon sock on it and asked me if that was my external wastegate LOL
                www.flickr.com/andhey
                http://ohitsandy.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Working...
                X