Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mugen closing its doors!

Hey guys!

I stumbled upon an interesting thread after browsing s2ki for a while this morning. The OP is one of your typical O.Gs who has been around for a decade or more and has an array of parts from the Mugen catalogue on his S2000. Whilst trying to track down the final piece he was missing he found out that Mugen is very soon closing it's doors to the S2000. Meaning Mugen will no longer refresh stock for their s2000 line of parts, so whatever stock certain Vendors/Dealers have could be the last stock ever available.

After discussing this with Alex (plAythiNG), he told me Mugen had already discontinued DC5 parts such as the ever popular Mugen lip kit. This got me thinking why and the only reason I can produce is that there are so many people buying replica parts, with not many left buying genuine. I'm assuming this discontinuation of products only stretches to things like aero as they are easily replicated - bonnets, bumpers, lips, hardtops, wings, etc.

I just wanted to ask everyone's thoughts and opinions on this topic. How do you feel about Mugen and possibly other well known aftermarket parts manufacturers discontinuing products for cars including the DC5, and S2000?

While it is encouraging to see Mugen researching and developing new products for Honda's new line up of cars such as the S660. Do you think perhaps one day they may stop altogether?

Discuss!!
    Shak's S2000

I definitely think is a possibility that they could close their doors. Due to the amount of replica parts there is these days, that the normal question these days seem to be "Is it genuine?".

These big companies pouring thousands of dollars into R&D into making these great products. And these smaller companies make replica parts and are cashing in on it. But it definitely seems to be the norm these days for everyone to buy replica. So eventually these big companies wont find it feasible to make more products or develop any new ones.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

They have already discontinued their range for the DC2 as well so you can add that to the list :/
      00' DC2 Honda Integra Type R | NH592P | DC2R
      13' ZN6 Toyota 86 GT | D4S | CNN-66E
      15' ZN6 Subaru WRX STI Premium | CBS | EBU-36R

Comment

Originally posted by jv-st View Post
        They have already discontinued their range for the DC2 as well so you can add that to the list :/
        DC2 was an obvious given as the car has been out of production for fourteen years now. However, the DC5 and S2000 are still relatively new with the last DC5 manufactured in 2006, and the last s2000 being manufactured in 2009.
        Shak's S2000

Comment

Went to order the dc5 type s lip kit from Mugen this week. FRONT discontinued

Side skirts and rear apparently still in production haha, that had me stumped.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
            DC2 was an obvious given as the car has been out of production for fourteen years now. However, the DC5 and S2000 are still relatively new with the last DC5 manufactured in 2006, and the last s2000 being manufactured in 2009.
            That is true. I only realised a month or so ago when Benny from BYP asked where/when I had purchased my Mugen intake as it was still in really good nick.

Perhaps an increased focus in production for Honda's upcoming range of cars, and with that maybe figures showing not even profitting from the DC5/S2K. Money talks, and HCAS members walk.. Lol
            Last edited by jv-st; 02-08-15, 05:58 PM.
            00' DC2 Honda Integra Type R | NH592P | DC2R
            13' ZN6 Toyota 86 GT | D4S | CNN-66E
            15' ZN6 Subaru WRX STI Premium | CBS | EBU-36R

Comment

Mugen closing its doors!

I tried to order a mugen gauge set for my dc5 about 18months ago, I was very disappointed to find out it was discontinued, was I surprised, no.
              The dc5 and even now the s2000,are relatively cheap cars to buy, even cheaper in the USA/Japan markets.
              Mugen parts are relatively expensive, and most definitely on the upper end of the scale when it comes to the aftermarket.
              So realistically, how many people are going to spend 20% of their cars value on a single part like a front bar, header or catback? Especially yanks, very few of them care about the brand and are more than happy to run a copy or bang for buck item
              I can totally understand that keeping stock of these parts doesn't make economic sense for Mugen anymore.
              Do I think they'll shut there doors? No
              Do I think they'll continue to discontinue older model non repair style parts? Yes
              And unfortunately I think they'll certainly limit the amount they spend on r&d and parts development in the future

Sent from snoopnugs ringer
              using Tapatalk
              Last edited by gunpoons; 02-08-15, 08:07 PM.
              02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
                I tried to order a mugen gauge set for my dc5 about 18months ago, I was very disappointed to find out it was discontinued, was I surprised, no.
                The dc5 and even now the s2000,are relatively cheap cars to buy, even cheaper in the USA/Japan markets.
                Mugen parts are relatively expensive, and most definitely on the upper end of the scale when it comes to the aftermarket.
                So realistically, how many people are going to spend 20% of their cars value on a single part like a front bar, header or catback? Especially yanks, very few of them care about the brand and are more than happy to run a copy or bang for buck item
                I can totally understand that keeping stock of these parts doesn't make economic sense for Mugen anymore.
                Do I think they'll shut there doors? No
                Do I think they'll continue to discontinue older model non repair style parts? Yes
                And unfortunately I think they'll certainly limit the amount they spend on r&d and parts development in the future
                Hit the nail on the head I reckon Nathan.

There's simply no way to keep these parts in production, forever, profitably. That's basically the bottom line.

The only Mugen part I have is a DC2R intake and it's a lovely item. OEM fit & finish, quality engineering. But $1150 back when I bought it like 8 years ago. How many people would fork out that for one today given the current value of a DC2R?
                | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Well said Nathan.
                  ClubITR | Like

Comment

car shows in America like Weksos, weekfest, IA and the rest helps Mugen and the other big companies to still operate.

As people showing off their cars, they want to use genuine items. Plus guys who race their cars, most of the time they will use genuine parts instead of replica.

And as OP mentioned, aero parts will be discontinued sooner compared to performance/brake parts. But I believe Mugen will still open their doors, they will just produce limited stock and the rest will probably be made to order.
                    Last edited by garage460; 03-08-15, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Mugen has always done this? they discontinue all there car parts pretty early, make limited numbers and make there parts very expensive most of there stuff is made to order. I honestly think its just to keep there brand Unique/rare/special. nothing new they have always been doing this this whole time and its pretty common for a lot of manufactures to do this.

Comment

Working...
                      X