My number plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My number plate

So it went with the car when I sold it...

My question is when the new owner gets new number plates, am I able to re-apply for the number plate straight away or is there like a period in between where it cannot be re-used?

Also, am I able to just transfer the number plate from the old car to my new car even though the car is not under my name anymore?

if the new owner if nice enough, why dont you ask to buy the plates back, it might sound silly, but if you really wna the plates then do that.

im not sure about the period between discharge of teh plates if he/she gets new plate.

i have kept my plates over the 3 cars, and i just transfered the plates when i change the vehichle, however i had to pay a holding fee of $50.

Comment

Why didn't you do a plate swap before you sold the car? Silly billy.
      | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Hehe I didn't have time...well he is a friend of mine so he will gladly give the plates back to me but I just don't know the process of putting them onto my car...I know he hasn't got his new plates yet so hopefully we can do some sort of swap or something...

Comment

i have tried looking for JUS77R on myrta.com and it still isnt available after selling the car like 18 months ago (it could still be on the AB DC5R, i dont know). There could possibly be a wait, not sure.

Comment

I think it was still on the car when Remy owned it bro

I just talked with my mate...he said he still has the plates so I'm going to ask RTA if we can just do like an actual swap or something...

Comment

yeah - just wondering if whoever Remy sold it to kept it - wonder why they would though as it refers to a JUS sounding name.. anywho long gone now.

Mo - your mate might have to surrender the plates then get his own, then you buy those old plates as if it were new - meaning potentially both of you paying $165 or whatever it is now assuming they are standard plated (ABC-12D). Just my thoughts here - not 100%.

Comment

You'll need him to transfer those plates to you.
                Get it done now and just let him sit on standard issue plates.
                Once they get handed in you're farked.

That's what happened with my 00.34.00 except the buyer said he'd transfer and i just re-imburse him for any fees... except he just handed it in so now i can't get them again...
                happyhong says:
                aus only have 3 r
                happyhong says:
                civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

what do you mean farked? If they hand in plates you cant use them again?

Comment

You have to wait sometime before they can be reg'd again....
                    happyhong says:
                    aus only have 3 r
                    happyhong says:
                    civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Yes, there is a 6 month holding period ... When RTA releases the plate back to the market. This is for outstanding infringement statewide etc and for the record to be cleaned slated for the next owner. I was in this position when I was in vulture mode on a particular plate 8 years ago.

RTA will however be nice at most times to tell you when the holding period ends, so you can apply immediately when it expires from it's holding period. Most if not of times, if you have no one competing, you'd get first dibs past the holding period as long as you know the date.

Comment

Sweet thanks for that Noel

I've contacted my mate and told him not to hand in my plates yet

Comment

sorry to bring this old thread up hebe!

I had some plates on hold at the RTA and unfortunately they said you could only transfer plates if its a family member. I had some troubles transferring my old plates to my mum's corolla as i didn't state what my mum's relationship to me was so they delayed our car to be registered for a day. Hope that helps in someway.

I'm sure he could "sell" you the plates or whatever process is on how people transfer/sell plates to each other.

Comment

Working...
                          X